1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia reports record revenue

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 10 Aug 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Doesn't hurt that the 2900 didn't exactly meet expectations. why buy AMD when Nvidia is a better product.

3. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

great news.... now lower the prices!!!

4. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

We all wish that don't we :)

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

In what way are they the "only dedicated GPU company in the world"? They also make chipsets, so they are no more "dedicated" than AMD/ATi, which also makes chipsets and processors. Also, my understanding is that ATi remains a separate entity from AMD, i.e. it is a subsidiary company owned by AMD. It was acquired rather than having actually been merged in the strict legal sense, and I do not believe its assets have been transferred to AMD, so in that sense, since ATi doesn't make anything BUT GPUs, I would say that it, and not nVidia, is the "only dedicated GPU company in the world"!

6. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Because the moment AMD/ATI goes under, innovation will stop. Competition keeps the breed strong.

And, of course, because my HD 2900 XT outperforms an 8800 GTS 640 for the same money.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Good they deserve it. I'd like to know when AMD is going to get off it's arse and actually make something good, nVidia did it and their GPUs are selling like hotcakes.

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

congratz to nVidia. Thats a ton of money.

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Is that a metric ton (1000 kg), a short ton (2000 lbs) or a long ton (2240 lbs)? In any event, in quarters, it's a lot more than a ton of any description.

$1m in $100 bills apparently weights about 10 kg (http://www.ustreas.gov/press/releases/rr2748.htm), so the non-GAAP profit of almost $100m will weigh just under 1 metric ton, and the revenues of $460m would come in at 4.6 metric tons.

Howzat?!

10. chrisb2e9

I wont argue that competition is good for the consumer. Everyone knows that.
    and sure the 2900xt may outperform the 8800gts 640 in some aspects, but not all.
    In fact depending on where you look you will see the gts 320 outperforming the 2900xt, but again, not in every test. Each card has its own strong points.
    I almost went to Nvidia for my new GPU but getting a 1950 pro for free made me change my mind.

It will be a sad day if ATI goes under, but i'm sure that another company will take its place. Just like what happened back when 3dfx got bought out, correct me if i'm wrong but did ATI exist back then?

Maybe ATI/AMD will comeback in the GPU market to give nvidia a serious run for their money, but as for right now (depending on what you do) nvidia seams to have the edge.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

ATi was founded back in 1985 and I just seem to remember them launching the first Radeon 256 (R100) cards back in 2001 while 3Dfx has been bought up in 2000. ATi has been around a little longer, not in the enthusiast market though. They once were (or still are?) #1 in mass production pre-built systems.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

you have too much time on your hands, but I think you did it wrong, they made £460 million = $935 million USD

good for Nvidia :thumb:

Last edited: 10 Aug 2007
  13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

What happens when you enable AA?

14. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

This is me coming from a North American POV (price being the main reason here because I can buy a Sapphire 512MB X2900XT for $397.13 from Newegg includes S&H and a free game = £196):

Well, now we see just how much a corporation can make when there's no competition or innovation in the works for nearly a whole year on a card that stands above the rest......but aside from that I still see the X2900XT as being the better card in terms of price/performance, especially in the DX10 realm (because that's why you really bought the card when it all comes down to it right? Well, atleast I hope you did). Anwyays, once a game is built from DX10-up (hints Crysis/Bioshock/WiC) and it's main focus is shaders (which is where a lot of games are going supposedly) then we will see which card is actually the "better card" and honestly I'm gonna stick all my money on the AMD/ATi side when it, again, comes down to price/performance....seriously though, isn't anyone the least bit annoyed/angry that nVidia is profiting THIS much off of us the consumer...I mean, yes, they have the better-performanced card, but the price is ridiculous and for as aged as the card is (and yes I know it's still the best of the best), and being a consumer myself I say: the price needs to drop.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2007
  15. chrisb2e9

I'd love to see the price go down. Like I said before, the only thing stopping me from getting an 8800 is the fact that I got my ATI card for free.
    but will they lower the price when (most) people are willing to pay this much for it?
    what I am hoping for is that they will take this money (our money) and make a great product for us to consider, and at the same time ATI/AMD will see that they are somewhat losing the battle and put in the work thats required to also give us a great product to consider.

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Not if it's a cheque, smart guy. :lol:

Way to go NVIDIA. I love NVIDIA gfx cards, but I also love AMD processors, and this is pretty bad news for AMD.

Yes, I am a fanboi.

17. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I hope ATI/AMD brings some price drops on HD2900s soon so that nVidia will have to drop 8800 prices to keep up. Maybe in the next gen more competition will occur so that the consumer can get some powerful, reasonably priced graphics cards.

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Wow! is right - my first thought was they either have a psychic sales department :eeek: or have perfected time travel :jawdrop: (the real explanation is too boring)

Performance/Price: AMD & ATI still win in my books but my TripleHead2Go doesn't like ATI cards :waah:

19. Gnuser

Gnuser What's a Dremel?

...until you receive the electricity bill! :hehe:

20. indigo_prime

indigo_prime What's a Dremel?

As has already been stated in this thread, its about time some of these mass profit making companies started to price their products a little lower down the 'how much can we rake off the rich kids' scale.

If it is reported, then this is after they have taken all the development and production costs of all the products into account. I agree that they do need profit to allow them to continue forging forwards with new technology and development, but 460 million in one quarter of a year, plain ridiculous.

Considering the way top end hardware plummets in price the second the next generation is released, it would be nicer to see reduced prices across the wide range of products in the future. Im sure that with even slightly lower prices, more consumers could be tempted into springing the few extra quid it needs to buy a new product.

Tags: Add Tags