1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia unveils Tegra 4 'Wayne' SoC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I hate it when my existing hardware is forced into second place by progression.

Looks a good chip though!

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Can we get some sort of benchmarks and/or a performance chart for the various GPUs now found in Smartphones and Tabs? It's becoming wuite difficult now to actually understand which devices are more powerful and why.

4. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Best easily accessible information out there at the moment is at www.anandtech.com unless anyone has anything else better?

Certainly looks interesting (and the "shield") guess it'll be what, 6 months before we see production hardware with it in?

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Samsung SG4 will have first version cut down most likely or the battery life will be measured in a few hrs instead of a day lol.

One of there tablets will likely get the first full whack one in.

graphics performance is testable

CPU performance varies widely per platform. Even in the same chip in some cases.

In Gpu performance

PowerVR SGX 543MP3 ( only in 2 products Iphone 5 and Ipad 4)
    PowerVR SGX 543MP2 ( only in 2 products again Iphone 4s Ipad 3)
    Arm mali 400 ( in some samsung tablets + phones)
    Adreno 225 ( in most andriod phones )

is how the 4 graphics gpus rank that are most populer there is others but they are not really been brought by the consumer.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Some further reading suggests this chip is more for tablets than phones. Lack of LTE on chip will be a problem in the space that phones already fit into adding an extra chip to get LTE support just seems like a crazy decision to make from nvidia.

Wonder if this has been in development for so long that LTE was not really relivent at the time it was been designed hence the extra chip they have made to add support.

Nvidia may of shot themselves in the foot if samsung can't exploit LTE on chip for tegra4. Have major douts there is space inside the SG3 for another modem chip to fit and the SG4 is ment to be Slimmer.

When you have samsungs level of sales you would of thought Nvidia would of catered more to there biggest customer better than they have than expecting them to find room for another modem chip that may or may not be able to fit into the already cramped space.

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Common use cases...like idling? I am sure in a number of ways it is more power efficient, being able to race to idle faster plus 28nm TSMC process instead of 40nm should help a lot and maybe even a better big.little strategy than on Tegra 2....but unless they pulled some magic, the new Samsung A15 based chips HOG power when running full out.

8W spikes and 4W constant for dual core A15 plus a relatively modern GPU.

I can't imagine quad core A15, plus a beefier GPU on a similar enough process size isn't going to gulp more power than that.

Haswell is looking at 8w TDP tablet chips...and dual core Haswell, unless it LOSES performance moving form Ivy, should be able to hand quad core A15 its lunch (I'd guess at least 2-3x the performance). So Wayne might actually hit higher TDPs than Haswell will for a tablet chip, and probably is going to be rather underpowered, compute wise, in comparison.

Wayne/Tegra 3 might still be the best of the best ARM chip for awhile though (and in some applications, such as light use cases, probably will use less power than Haswell tablet chips).

8. veato

veato I should be working

The Adreno 320 in the Nexus 4 (according to Anandtech) is under the iPhone5 but ahead of the rest of the Android pack, incl. Tegra 3.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

With Htcs recent troubles ( results posted look awful) the smartphone battles is well and truly over with 2 winners and everyone else in big trouble selling at cost or loosing half a billion +.

Samsung and apple won everyone else is fighting for scraps.( rim Nokia htc and others)

I do wonder if Samsung will use there own arm6/7 licence to make something better than this. Which would leave nvidia short of customers. It depends on how important LTE on the main chip is to them. They have a huge R&D budget bigger than many tech companies they also already have the manufacturing to do it.

Been rumours for a while that apple refused to compromise design to install the modem LTE chips( that nvidia is trying to sell)that where around when the iphone4s was made.

Just don't think this has been well thought out by nvidia, Samsung is there main taker for the tegra 3 platform (nearly 90mil units in just Samsung galaxy models) surely Samsung will expect LTE on chip not as something else they have to buy however well it may perform.

10. veato

veato I should be working

I'm not a huge fan of Samsung phones. I was put off by an early version of the TouchWiz UI and found HTC much better, both the Sense UI and the solid build of the phones. I'm surprised they don't do better TBH.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

They dont do well for 4 simple reasons.

They have basically 0 advertising budget, and are trying to compete at the high end of the smartphone market where there is only 2 players acording to the consumers. Of which both spend a $1bil+ dollars a year on marketing + another 2-3 bil on R&D.( No other company has that sort of cash in the smartphone market to chuck at R&D like this)

They are also paying out cash to Apple, Microsoft for every smartphone sold that contains andriod.

They also are spread way too thin on phones got so many different models that make little or no cash.

When the 2 industry leaders are pulling in 50bil profit a year does not leave alot for the rest of the market to grab onto. Theres a 4 way scrap at the bottom HTC RIM Microsoft Nokia. If i was a betting man 2 of the 4 won't exist as smartphone sellers this time next year

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sod putting this in a phone or a tablet; I want an SBC based around Tegra 4. Quad-core chip and a GeForce-based GPU capable of full OpenGL? Shut up and take my money.

In my book that's the one major fault with ARM-based SBCs at the moment: the lack of full-fat OpenGL support. Almost everything I've seen, including the Raspberry Pi, uses OpenGL ES; that's pretty limiting when it comes to taking advantage of the GPU power because you really don't find much support for OpenGL ES outside of Android.