1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Opera 10 Alpha 1 released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

Wh00sh, downloading. I love my opera 9.62, hope the new one will be even better :)

3. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

yay

though I need a clever way to manage and use bookmarks, I haven't found a satisfactory way to do it yet

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

30% faster? You mean it's now half as fast as the other browsers out there?!

=P

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

on XP when there is lots of tabs open i do find it can be slow but thats more the hard disk
    on vista i find its very fast due to superfetch as it preloads the sites that are stored in opera
    opera stores the last pages on each tab and i must have like 20 tabs that i keep open (my preferred way) IE and firefox (when it works) just saves the links and re downloads them when you reopen the browser

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

i'll def give it a go when officially released, am sick of Firefox bookmark system.....

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You don't seem to be very sure what you're talking about. Opera has been faster in most scenarios than the other major browsers for years.

And better.

Gonna skip the alpha of this, features is what I care abouts, and they'll be shining more in beta, so I'll wait for that, or maybe even gold. Knowing the guys at Opera it'll be another solid improvement, not changing too much, just gently improving on an already fantastic browser.

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I hope they will leave it rather bare and have all the bloat sorry features as opt ins.

9. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

Two ones that come to mind:

You can expand the speeddial options – mine is curretly 4 x 4 rather than 3 x 3

You can also give bookmarks and bookmark folders nicknames, such that when you hit F2, you can type in that nickname, and it'll open the webpage with that nickname, or all the webpages in the folder with that nickname.

10. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Im going to wate for the full version before upgrading, hopefuly then it will do a proper upgrade so i dont have to spend ages transfering my huge list of news feeds over :p

11. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

To be honest, i'm having some problems with skins - there appears to be some kind of bug when you select "Color scheme" on.. but it's alpha and i really love everything else, especially the spelling checker.

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

opera has sync on it all you need is make an account and it syncs Every thing so when you log your opera in it auto restores tabs, favs,RSS and settings

13. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

It dose not do rss, it dose everything else though. allready have that set up :p

14. Goty

Goty Minimodder

*Note the "=P" at the bottom of the post*

15. seanap

seanap What's a Dremel?

Using it now!

I switched from FF3 to this (though I used to use Opera before FF3) and love all the little nifty things you can do. Creating searches with nicknames so as to just type "newegg core i7" and going straight to the search results, the mouse gestures are integrated very nicely, etc etc..

Can't wait for beta/full release!!

16. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

seanap, Fx3 does that... just right-click any search box (for instance, that at the top of this page) and note the "add a Keyword for this search" option :)

Couldn't say which is better, but Opera never quite did it for me (I did really like the preemptive "forward" selection though - I seem to recall a really nifty mouse gesture to flick to the next page in multipage documents).

I'm a bit symbiotic with my Fx install now, I know which add-ons I need and how to get everything I use regularly within two clicks. To get to know Opera that well would take some incentive.

Tags: Add Tags