1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocking explained plz!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by euroned, 28 Jul 2009.

1. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Previously had 2x1gb ddr2 6400 and managed to oc my cpu to 3.2ghz on air with no real problems, a game i play (battelground Europe) eats memory so i got 2x1gb more matched memory to give me a total of 4gb ddr2 6400.
    So why is it now can only manage to oc to 2.7ghz...much after that i freeze or bsd!? Soz for been slow on understanding overclocking but always done safe(ish) oc never had more mem to cause problems?!

Cheers

Ned

2. tictactoe

tictactoe What's a Dremel?

Not all motherboards like having all RAM slots filled up, and will drop the max. RAM speed from 800 to 667, BUT I think that your board should be fine with this. Check that the option in the BIOS for "memory remapping" is set so that 32bit XP works properly.

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

A slight bump in the NB core voltage does wonders. :)

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

You're gonna be wasting about a gig of your memory unless you go to 64bit OS...

5. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

It could be several things,
    First, as several people have said, get a 64 bit operating system, the maximum 32 bit can handle is slighly under 4GB (system memory + graphics memory)

We need more info
    Do you have a temperature probe? Measure the temperature of your NB somehow when your computer is stressed (RAM and CPU heavy application - you can use orthos)

6. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

The BIOS hardware monitor would be a good place to look for this :) The MB temperature field will give you a good indication I find.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

OVERCLOCKING EXPLAINED!

Slow components go in
    numbers are made larger
    MAGIC IS APPLIED
    Fast components come out!!!!!!

sheninat0r likes this.
  8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

What are your current voltages? As the others have said, memory might be an issue, but more NB voltage should help if the board holds up with that amount of memory.

9. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Have got to 2.80ghz now with FSB 350 with cpu temps 31oC idle and 52oC loaded, memory is at 350mhz 5-5-5-12. I cannot increase the memory to 400mhz without system crashing(only by lowering fsb to 339 can i get synchronous(1:1 @ 400)memory, i have increased vcore to 1.45v MCH to 1.75v and memvolt 1.95v and still crashes. With the temps of cpu so good i think its the memory bottlenecking the o/c!
    If i reduce memory speed and increase FSB what advantage would i gain, yes higher cpu clock speed but slower memory, where does the trade off change between faster cpu and slower memory?
    Where do i go from here as i'm sure the cpu has alot more oc in it, but memory has not?!

Cheers again

Ned

10. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

you could try lowering your memory latencies a bit and seeing if that lets you push a bit higher... just something to rule out :) try 6-6-6-15 or even 7-7-7-15 and see what you can do

11. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

What is the best benchmark to use to see the differences!?

Cheers

Ned

12. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

13. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Yes. Absolutely yes. +rep :D

14. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Basically, i can crank up the fsb for the cpu without too much trouble(temps at load <50oC), but the memory seems to hold me back! Would using higher(>800mhz) memory like ddr2 8500 memory allowed greater overheads to push the cpu higher?

What is the trade off between increasing cpu fsb and decreasing memory frequency?

Where/how do you find the best of both?

Thanks for clarification.

Ned

15. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

W000T Thread Ressurection!!!! HAXXX
    RAM multiplier, faster RAM = good overclock