1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Password managers

Discussion in 'General' started by BA_13, 28 Jan 2020.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Myself and my fiancee currently use Lastpass for all our devices, however we have both experienced issues with it that mean a change is required. So I'm looking for suggestions for a suitable replacement, either software, hardware or a combination of the two. I don't really want to reduce the level of security from what I currently have which is a secure password and a yubikey.

We use Lastpass on various machines including windows PCs, macbooks, ipads, iphones and android phones hence the replacement needs to be flexible.

Any advice gratefully received.

Just in case anyone is curious the issues are that we are experiencing are that I am unable to change / reset my password due to a multi-factor authentication issue (still have full access to the account etc.) and my fiancee is having to uninstall and reinstall the Lastpass extension on her Mac several times a week (this appears to be a long term fault that isn't being addressed).

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Due to the hinted at changes incoming at LastPass, I have seen quite a few people migrating to bitwarden.

liratheal likes this.
  3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I use Keepass exclusively, syncing passwords between machines by storing the encrypted file on OneDrive. I use the built in autotype feature for basic password input, alongside a browser extension that puts the URL in the window title (so Keepass knows what to type).

It's maybe not as simple to set up as some services, but it's free and minimises the amount of trust I have to put in any service/party that is beyond my control/knowledge.

flibblesan likes this.
  4. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Not aware of any changes (not really keeping up to speed on lastpass), but as it isn't working reliably for us it's time to dump it.

5. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

We use LastPass as an organisation at work, so in an effort to keep significant demarcation (updating details in the wrong account) I've used Bitwarden for all my personal credentials for the last few years. I don't think that BW is as seamless as LP, but I don't really have any complaints.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Also a Lastpass User, I'm looking around too. So far I'm looking at bitwarden. Just having the gumption to take the leap and try it.. Lastpass hasn't annoyed me enough yet.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I started using lastpass last year (having not been using a password manager before that), what are the upcoming changes?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've used a Mooltipass Mini for years. Currently beta-testing the next-gen version, which adds a battery and Bluetooth to make it easier to use on-the-go.

Is it as convenient as a software-based solution? No. Is it more secure? Yes. Is it that much more secure to be worth the up-front cash, compared to a cheaper monthly sub to something like LastPass (which I used to use, but abandoned after the third security breach) or free software like KeePassX? Personal decision, that.

9. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Logmein which own LastPass bought by a Private Equity firm. When LP was purchased by Logmein, there were a couple of significant price hikes. https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/18/logmein-lastpass-to-be-acquired-by-private-equity-firms/
    Some people seeing free tier restricted to only 20 account. - https://www.reddit.com/r/Lastpass/comments/eb2tny/lastpass_free_tier_now_limited_to_20_passwords/

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Is the next gen worth waiting for? And do you know an approximate release date?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They're targeting late April, early March last I heard - though the Bluetooth part is still under heavy development (like, I can't actually get it to work with my Nokia 7.2 yet) so it's not impossible that it'll get delayed.

The new one's got some pretty tasty features, even if you're not after the Bluetooth stuff: there's more room in the firmware for extra features, and it'll double as a U2F auth dongle. The older one's smaller, tho', and I think I actually prefer the lower-resolution display.

12. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Thanks for that Gareth I think the new mooltipass may be for me but not sure about my slimmer half, I think another device won't appeal to her at all. I imagine I'll use the built in password app on the phone for low importance sites (low security importance that is), and the mooltipass for anything remotely sensitive. Looks like I have to struggle on with Lastpass for a few more months and prepare my trusty backup notebook of passwords hidden under the Tibetan mastiffs food bowl.

13. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

FYI, from the online store:

14. liratheal

As a sort of update. I switched to Bitwarden. Much the same but the auto filling isn't as polished as last pass, which is irksome.

But overall it appears to function just fine.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Another LastPass user here. Watching this thread with interest.

But how do you switch? Do you have to manually copy and paste each password and account, or is there an easier method, like universal password manager export?

16. liratheal

Lastpass can "export" to a CSV via HTML (Which can cause formatting ****ery) that Bitwarden can then import - Bitwarden have a guide, but it's basically;

Lastpass > Options > Advanced > Export

Bitwarden web page > Tools > Import, select "Lastpass" and bob's your proverbial.

IanW and wyx087 like this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Same on the Mooltipass, though the guy who created it prefers people to add things in one-at-a-time - in order to encourage 'em to generate new passwords directly within the Mooltipass ecosystem, guaranteeing they've not been used elsewhere or could have been leaked.

*Leaving* the Mooltipass ecosystem is a different matter. You can export an encrypted backup, but that'll only restore to another Mooltipass; if you want your passwords back in plain text, you have to buy a very specific model of smartcard reader and use a hacky Python script to extract the security key from the card, unlock it with your PIN, then decrypt the memory dump into plain text. Or, I guess, use the USB keyboard mode to enter each password into a text file one at a time...

wyx087 likes this.
  18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Asking out of curiosity, has bitwarden had any security issues similar to lastpass? Reading this thread has made me think about ditching lastpass.

19. liratheal

I've been idly watching Bitwarden for a while (It got mentioned on Reddit as an alternative to LP) and I've not seen anything in that vein and haven't seen anything in my 'tube searching, so if there has been it was old enough that BW wasn't highly used.

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator