1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Patch Tuesday brings 13 fixes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I don't worry about how many patches are released I go to ms security update page and down
    load the ones I want for xp. I stopped using automatic updates because ms was installing updates
    without my approval the sneaky a$$es !!

3. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

what updates were installing?
    can't you just go on advanced and select the ones you want to install?

4. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

at the time I had autoupdates enabled so that I had to approve the updates before they were
    installed, it didn't matter I found that upon shutting down updates were being installed then windows
    would shut down. It wasn't just me I found that this was happening to other people as well. you
    can't let ms take total control of your pc.!!

5. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

Use MacOS or Linux ;)

6. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

You can't let Apple take total controls of your PC software & hardware!!!!! Especially not Steve Jobs!!!! But I think Linus Torvald is okay!!!!!! ;-P

7. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

mac is even worse as far as control goes. you can only select approved hardware, patches are mandatory, etc.

8. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

As far as I know, the most important / critical patches that will keep your PC "safe & secure" are automatically applied when auto updates is switched on, without any request for additional permission and I believe is there to give you a greater degree of protection.

I also remember reading an article a couple of years ago stating that Microsoft were supposedly even giving the most essential security updates even to pirated copies of Windows to help reduce the effects that viruses and malware have.

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I've never really had any issues with the auto update feature in Windows.

10. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

I think its a bad idea to criticize any company for releasing patches. In both the recent iphone article and this one it seems to imply that releasing patches shows the software is insecure. In a way it does, but I think its the software that doesn't get updated that we should really be worried about. I like to see regular updates because no software, especially as complicated as an OS is without bugs, so fixing them in a timely manner is key. Its a problem when we hear about vulnerabilities without a patch.

As far as MS updating without permission in the case of critical updates, I can see the reasoning in reducing malware, but I believe they pushed genuine advantage as a security update as well when that came out. Do we want things like that installed without our permission?

That's just plain false. OSX asks permission before installing any patch just like windows, and you can choose individual patches to update or ignore. You should check you facts before posting about an OS you probably don't even use. The thing about hardware is kind of true, but it doesn't have much to do with software updates does it?

Last edited: 6 Feb 2010
  11. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

Don`t let ANY corporation control your computer! Use DOS! Absolutely no auto updates or DRM!!1

12. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

you're quite mistaken according to Apple EULA, it's Steve computer he's just letting you use it.

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

windows update does update it self on its own but that's just windows update, but other updates you need to agree to or wait to 3am in the morning or set it to download only or ask

14. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

The only really controversial updates are the Genuine advantage ones and stuff like the latest "reliability" updates for windows 7 which have caused a lot of problems for people. Almost all of the others are for safety purposes which I'll gladly take.

Tags: Add Tags