1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC demand is booming despite shipment issues

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 14 Apr 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

While I'd suspect people have more time for gaming, I'm surprised purple are risking the money at the moment.
    I was planning on replacing my ten year old laptop this month. I've delayed that by at least a year based on the current Corvid 19 induced job situation.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think most of these sales have zero to do with gaming. As the article says, they're more likely to be connected to people sourcing equipment for WFH.

I agree entirely that it doesn't feel like an appropriate time to be spending lots on personal use PC gear, which is why the recent boom in demand isn't likely to be sustained - once everyone has their WFH kit, sales are likely to be sluggish as people tighten their belts in the face of ongoing economic uncertainty.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I've proved myself wrong. Last week my laptop PSU died. While waiting for a new one we realised we needed another working laptop for home schooling the children. So we have had to buy another budget laptop that we weren't planning on.
    The shortage are real. Most of the ones I liked were out of stock, or claimed to be in stock but had a shipping date about a month away (* cough Dell cough *). In the end I had to settle for a slightly sub par one as it was the only one in my price range that had immediate availability

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Well, I just had VR headset delivered and planning for whole PC upgrade when RTX 3000 comes out in Q4 2020...... when not going out, there can be a lot of money saved from not eating out and other associated costs.

But for big purchases like a car, that's going on hold. As much as I like a £35k nearly new Model 3, the uncertainty means it's not a good purchase.

So for PC industry, I think it should be healthy for all those WFH, all those who have extra free time on hand and all those who will be staying away from crowds. This thing isn't going to disappear overnight, even if lockdown is lifted, it would be foulish to go to crowded places (eg. resturants, shopping centre, events). The money saved from those activities would hopefully keep the industry we love healthy.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2020
  6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

As soon as lockdown started all my wife's work colleagues asked her to ask me for new monitor recommendations, cos "he knows IT", and they saw my wife's photo of here setup with my spare U2412M connected to her laptop and got jealous.

I gave them links to 3 well priced 24" IPS screens to choose from but I struggled to find a large selection which were actually in stock.

I went looking for a webcam not long after, nothing to be had anywhere.

As said above, it's a surge due to WFH, the Chinese will start manufacturing but by then no one will want to spend.

Tags: Add Tags