1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC gaming market worth $11 billion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Uhh, doesn't WoW generate over or close to £70 million per month anyway? That's over £800 Million, so if it's close to 11Billion, what else is taking in such a huge amount of money? Oh and there's steam, but no-one knows how much they're making or generating.

Considering it seems to be in fashion for devs to constantly moan about how they're not making enough money.

Or if they aren't making as much money as they want, they will instantly assume 'PIRACY' or 'SECOND HAND THIEVES' instead of 'maybe our game is crap and no-one wants to buy it'. :p

I've long suspected the gaming industry is worth a lot more, and generates a lot more money than most of the devs crying poverty make out.

I'm looking at you Epic(fail)! *glares*

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Death of PC gaming? Sounds more like zombie undead of PC gaming ;-)

Have Epic been kicked out of the PCGA yet?

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i take the whole PCGA thing with a pinch of salt but it was an interesting read non the less.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I just wish I was the bloke at Blizzard who one day sat up and said "lets make a persistant MMO out of our RTS franchise!". They must be dizzyingly rich by now.

6. Major

Major Guest

That gave me goosebumps.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I read an Activision investor call transcript the other day. One of the investors was basically moaning to the head of Activision Blizzard that the Blizzard studio was wasting time by still creating content updates for age-old games like Diablo 2.

The CEO turned around and basically said that everyone should leave Blizzard alone; his opinion was that the studio makes such an incredible amount of money for them that they are completely hands-off and let them do whatever the hell they want and that they'll continue to do so as long as the studio makes profit.

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Activision must have had some input in the horrible starcraft 2 cash-in scheme... (3 'episdoes')

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

10. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

So then maybe this will be the time where devs make more effort with consoles.

Well more devs than the PC usual.

11. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I'd much rather see this as evidence that developers should make more of an effort with PCs - Stop the rubbish console-to-PC ports, stop focussing FPS games on Consoles and return them to where they belong.

Haze is a particularly good case in point here. A FPS on a console. That is so out-specced for the console that the game outputs to 540p only and then the PS3 upscales that to 720p. On a PC that game could have been run perfectly fine up to and beyond 1080p with decent hardware. (this is ignoring the fact that everything else about it was rubbish)

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I just want to know how much Steam makes, they're so secretive its impossible to guess

13. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Oops! sorry that's what I meant, I was thinking that they put too much emphasis on consoles and it came out wrong . :p

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

but with current credit crunch, im not sure it's wise to say PC gaming is booming. after all, consoles require less first-time investment.

15. Major

Major Guest

True, but any market worth $11billion is worth developing for, only problem is, who is getting this market share? From the figures above, Blizzard are getting around a tenth of it, and I am guessing EA have a big proportion too.

16. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

if they want it to even grow further, ditch DRM

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This is just a slap to the face on the companies against 2nd hand sales.

Tags: Add Tags