1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide: August/September 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 31 Aug 2012.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Typo on US price of Corsair H80. Mini-ITX build.

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We've looked at the Zotac and ASRock Z77 ITX boards - the Asus got our vote, even though it costs more.

The Prodigy does have issues as we mentioned in the article, but they're either easy to live with or fixable. Aside from that the case offers superb cooling (for a mini-ITX case) and oodles of room water cooling or large air coolers.

3. Apexgun

Apexgun What's a Dremel?

Glad this segment is back, missed dreaming about building a new system off the monthly recommendations.
    You guys ever think about adding in a media centre system? Now that you're doing mini-ITX systems something that size could be perfect for a living room setup.

4. Combatus

Cheers Jeff - just updated it. We'll hopefully have an air-cooled option next month once we've had time to chuck a few large air coolers into it.

5. Combatus

We're planning on adding this next time!

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I also love this feature. I'd go as far as to say its my favorite part of the (non forum) website, I link it to my friends all the time.

The mini ITX addition is brilliant as everyone said. I intend to be building one of my own as soon as I can.

I'm not sure about the Prodigy because of its size, is it only price that you didn't put the silverstone FT03 mini in? Idealy I'd like my system to be easily put into a bag and taken to LAN's in future aswell as living on my desk behind my screen.

7. Combatus

Hi Lance. Yep it's mainly price - we'll have reviews of several ITX cases including the Prodigy and FT03 Mini soon - should explain our choices!

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Awesome. Cheers

9. jdageek

jdageek What's a Dremel?

Great guide as always bit-tech, loving the mini itx section as I've just ordered the parts to build my own mini itx media pc, so I'm looking forward to your future mitx builds. My Lian Li Q08B should be arriving soon, can't wait.

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

So.... Does the Zotac 660ti fit in the Prodigy with the upper drive cage still in then?...

11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Looking forward to you adding a media pc, that's living room friendly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

12. Combatus

Hi docodine. We're not able to pair up the two right this moment - we'll get pictures to you first thing next week.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

:worried:

Thanks!

14. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

"256GB SSDs now costing less than £110 "

What? Where? The only one I've seen in Ebuyer's offer on the Sandisk 256Gb model for £99, that is now off. Other than that, even the lower spec SSD's (such as that Sandisk) are still £130-135 ishy. Alas, I wish the quote were true XD

But yeay, buyer's guide is back! :)

15. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Wow. AMD really neet to get their asses in gear. They've been wiped out of the recommendations at every level, and barely rate a footnote. Feeling a little sour about going Bulldozer x6 1045T now. :/

16. Combatus

Yep we were referring to the Sandisk and several deals we've seen from Kingston too. I'm sure they'll be back - it was just to emphasise that they you can get them this cheaply at the right place at the right time. However, we only tend to recommend the faster models such as the Samsung 830 and Crucial M4.

17. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Why are you recommending Ivybridge? It has poor thermals for overclocking....and the majority of enthusiasts do overclcock.....last generation Sandybridge is much better.....I'm sure you know that.....are intel "ENCOURAGING" you to promote there latest products.

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Glad to see this article back and look forward to reading impending reviews on some of the goodies mentioned in it.

19. AndyBradley_0255

AndyBradley_0255 What's a Dremel?

In the premium player specs you list 2 x 2TB WD Black drives as being £144 when they are not, they are £144 each, or £138 from Scan :p
    you need to whack an extra 144 squids to the overall total price.

20. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

I just want to say how happy I am to see this feature coming back ... there was QUITE a while when the "monthly hardware review" was 6 to 12 months old ...

Tags: Add Tags