1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Philips closes 3D TV division

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Pretty cool that you don't need glasses, but 3D is such a gimmick I doubt there's much of a market at all.

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Radio with pictures? It'll never take off!

4. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

the issue is the change over. it is nice to say "hey our TV's do 3-d" but it does little good if the TV costs twice as much, and there is no programming for it. "my new TV does 3-d, but you have to trust me, since there is nothing 3-d to watch"

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

What? I saw one of those tTV in the last Campus Party here in Brazil, it's trully amazing! Looks like a BIG step back in Technology in the world...

Then perhaps Sony could buy it and price those 10 times its worth so we could again only dream of having one in the near future...

But again, to my understanding, Philips is more of a developer than a seller.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

This kind of statement never ceases to amaze me. If 3d is such a gimmick, why do humans have 3d vision?

If you use your brain for it's intended purpose, you could quite easily work out that 3d display devices are a NATURAL TECHNOLOGICAL EVOLUTION.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Except every 3D system ive used has given me a headache and i tried them all at the gadget show, does that mean im broken?

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

No, it means it isn't good enough yet. TV was pretty cack when it first started; we'll get there eventually, we just aren't there yet...

9. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Wow, back from the dead.

I wasn't saying that 3d tech would always be gimmicky, just that it is now. The current technology has the novelty factor, but is for the most part a step backwards in picture quality. There are exceptions, such as Pandora or pixar films in a 3d imax theater(rendered or shot in actual 3d), but most "3d" films have a horrid attempt at 3d added in post, which is entirely unrealistic, must be watched through little frames in front of your face, and is quite dark. It completely takes you out of the experience.

Look, the article was about a tech company closing its current 3d tv department(had to re-read since this is a few months old), so I was saying that right now there isn't much of a market besides as a gimmick. With very little content available, and no set standard how are current 3d tv offerings anything but a gimmick?

In the future I too hope for realistic 3d without needing glasses, but that day has not yet come.

-Joe-

Tags: Add Tags