1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Tanacel

Tanacel What's a Dremel?

Joe - does it have the evil DRM from UBIsoft?

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it probably will do. tbh i lost interst in the PoP series after the last one where you just couldnt die.

4. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I never understood the fuss over this. What's the difference between a game saying, "you fell down a hole, now you have to re-do this segment, which is possible because your companion saved you" and "you fell down a hole, now you have to re-do this segment, which is possible because the game lets you die and then come back to life"?

PoP 2008 just wrote the die/retry mechanic we've all been using for years into its story, and then added a generous checkpoint system. Now complaining about the generous checkpoints is fair, but complaining that you "can't die", when the mechanic amounts to the same thing, is a bit ridiculous when, if anything, PoP 2008's system makes a lot more sense than the average game's.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

theres nothing to gain when theres nothing to lose.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Don't know for sure, but probably yes. This was a review from the Xbox 360 version - the PC version isn't out until next month.

7. Tanacel

Tanacel What's a Dremel?

Ah! Probably being polished and loads of extra content being added for that delay....

Cheers Joe

8. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Not played one of these since the first game which I loved so I'm looking forward to having a play on this when it arrives on PC :)

Not sure why I never bothered with the others?!

EDIT: Just realised by 'first game' I actually meant the PS2 one, I forgot about the old DOS ones! I played the 'very first' one a bit too but it was very hard!

Last edited: 20 May 2010
  9. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Do you mean that knowing your in-game character can "die" adds a weight of consequence to your actions, even though he/she can be instantly resurrected, without explanation, in a mechanic that amounts to exactly the same thing that is offered in PoP 2008?

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sounds like another console game really.. the original had some good wall running puzzles in it though

hate the way games have gotten easier and easier.. the peeps buying games don't want something challenging- console game buyers want the game to tell them they are awesome and own even though they are mustard face

think everyone should try monking in guildwars sometime in an elite dungeon hardmode with real people.. it's random enough where if your a smashing button kind of guy, your team is going to blow some ass right at the doors and you'll see just how lubed you are

but then get someone like me in there.. you'll see a team that likes chicken with boner and flies to the boss (well given no leeroy is out on his grandpas emachine)

now look at gw2.. they revamped it all to cater to the console crowd from what we know so far.. and this trend will keep going from the looks of it

what's wrong with making a game difficult and keeping that core of thinking gamers together.. I bet 10-20 years time you'll see burn the rope but it will be epic.. you smash 2 buttons and then watch your avatar own everything- maybe time to give up on gaming

11. mac007

mac007 What's a Dremel?

Not much of a fan of Prince of Persia, prefer the strategy type like Battleforge. Am keen on the latest film that's been released - trailer looks awesome especially seeing it on the IMAX.

12. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Why are you blaming console games for your perceived ease in difficulty settings lately? Why does the consoles always have to be the scapegoat? There have been plenty of hard games on consoles too you know, but the way you are talking you just sound ignorant.

13. thehippoz

well look at the counter in assasins creed.. then in assassins creed 2 you might as well be in god mode with how easy it is.. heck you could smash the mouse button with your daggers and it would sometimes just kill the guy

the trend in games is difficulty is going downhill.. devs are going to go where the money is at (target market is the saddle poppers)

I'm a little more picky because I like to be challenged.. I'm not the guy they are trying to cater to nowdays and imo it's only going to get worse

I'm finding it hard to justify a 300 dollar video card purchase with the games on the way..

14. GiantStickMan

But how is that decline in difficulty caused by the console market? Let's not forget that AC2 was a PC game as well.

15. thehippoz

think that's where all the money is at.. joe posted a couple of threads about this before

this one is just current so I thought I'd poke my 2 cents in.. if your deving games for the pc, the controls are way better so console ports (which is all were going to get eventually) and the fact it was deved with the console (saddle poppers) in mind

think us pc gamers are going to be screwed on all the big titles from here on out.. I used to own a xbox 360/harddrive back when it came out and sold it (but kept the controllers xD) same with earlier consoles- but those had some pretty good games back then

I liked some of the older console games a lot and the fighting games, sports games really where it's best.. look at the wii, the girls love that thing.. that's the target market

with the pc we might as well strap on the strap on and take it in the face.. cause next thing they'll make for consoles is a glory hole and warrior is going to be using/posting picks!

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  16. GiantStickMan

So your two cents is to liken console gamers to people with dubious sexual preferences?
    Wow, very mature argument there. Yes, Joe did post an article on difficulty settings, and I suggest you read the comments, a lot of games mentioned as being quite hard were on consoles. Just like anything you'll find easy games on PC too, and not just console ports.
    I won't argue the target market of the Wii, there are a lot of games there geared towards casual gamers so yes, some of them do have pretty low difficulty settings but you'll still find games that will truly test you on the higher settings. Go play Resident Evil: Remake on the hardest setting then get back to me about console games being easier. And that's but one example.

17. thehippoz

any console game though.. ported over the control system on the pc is just so much better- it makes it a joke

18. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

The fact of the controller itself, insures that games have to be dumbed down or simplified on consoles. There just aren't enough buttons or control ability, so they let the game play for you.

Case in point, every console game having auto aim or some sort of lock on. That'd be the PC equivalent of giving everyone aimbot and seeing whos better. Fun for some maybe, not for me.

Console gaming is the root of this because 95% of all these games are DESIGNED to play on a console with a controller, and a PC version only as an after thought.

19. Spacemadmonkey

Spacemadmonkey What's a Dremel?

Going to watch the film in about 30 minutes :)

20. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

It's a little disappointing they've gone back to making people die and redo stuff again. I quite liked the last one as for the first time I was able to complete a PoP game due to not being overwhelmed by frustration, as I just can't manage to complete a long stretch of moves without eventually making a mistake. It seems that the elitist snobs that think everyone should be as good as them have won though.... and for that reason the game will suffer.

Tags: Add Tags