1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Problem with new CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Beast, 8 Nov 2008.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

My rendering system hasn't been working all that great since I put a new Q6600 in it

Our old family computer broke down last weekend so we order a new one on Monday and was here and built Thursday. I took the old E6550 out of my rendering system and put in into the family computer and the new Q6600 into my rendering system and now my system isn't running too hot

The rending system boot up just fine and when I log onto my guest account it works like it should but when I log onto my admin account it works but then reboots for no reason

So what is the problem?

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

More info needed i feel. Does it reboot at the same point? What are the temps? Can you stress test it successfully in the guest account?

RwD

3. The_Beast

Any question that will help you I'll answer.

15-20 seconds after logging onto the admin account it reboots. The temps shouldn't matter b/c I'll log onto the guest account leave it run then restart and try to log onto the admin account and then it reboots itself. What kind of stress test???

4. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

anyhtign the stresses the cpu would work. Prime95 or super pi would work i guess.

5. The_Beast

Ok I'll try super pi

Edit: pi to 1m took 22 second

Last edited: 9 Nov 2008
  6. RinSewand

I'd say more software based rather than hardware. If you can stress it in the guest account without it failing i'd look for any odd software in the admin account. Can you get into safe mode? If so run the usual virus scanners etc...

RwD

7. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

SuperPi isn't a very good stress tester, it doesn't run long enough. Run Orthos for stress testing. Prime95 is an outdated method and only runs on a single core, Orthos is basically Prime95, but will test multiple cores.

I don't think this is the problem here. It's sound like something running on the admin account that isn't running on the guest account is causing the problem. Especially since it happens around the same time whenever you log in to that account. A program or service that is running is having problems. Can you boot into safe mode, go into the admin account and disable everything you possible can on start up, then re-enable one at a time until you find out which one causes the reboot after you enable it.(basically what RinSewand said, but I don't think it's a virus).

8. RinSewand

Mmmm i'm agreeing with SPQQKY, on second thoughts i doubt it would be a virus too. Worth a check as well though (Can never hurt to scan the system) Did you install or update anything before or during the upgrade?

RwD

9. The_Beast

All right I'll try that and see if that works

Edit: yup that worked great

Without you guys I would have had to wait until monday to see my "computer guy"

thanks a ton :thumb:

Last edited: 9 Nov 2008
  10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

What are you talking about? Prime95 can natively test multiple cores while you must run several instances of Orthos to load a multicore CPU. :thumb:

11. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Last time I checked (been a while), Prime hadn't been updated since Aug 2004 and only ran one core. But now that I've done a search, it looks like it was updated in May of this year. I've been using OCCT and Orthos and haven't checked on Prime because it hadn't been updated in years.
    Thanks for the heads up.