1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Status Report

No problem. But I never got to see the pictures you posted..Why not just put the link (you have me wondering what I missed).

Not a update, more of a status report.
    I will try to get the 6800Ultra installed tomorrow as well as the Vantec power supply (the tape on the sides of the unit is to protect it during installation, it's a very tight fit for a PSU in a LL v1000). Getting the power supply in is EZ, hiding all the wires will be a major undertaking (I need to look over Nexxo's log again, he did a great job with wire management).
    [​IMG]
    I also was able to locate some red cellophane to rap around the CCFL tubes in the hope of getting a more red color than I now have (looks orange). Firehed came up with this idea, I hope it works.
    The chrome guy is a little backed-up. I should have my chromed parts back by mid-week..
    MS

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  2. Henrymonaghan

Henrymonaghan What's a Dremel?

lookin realy good man, keep it up :rock:

3. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

yea i removed the pics before i got loada of jip from peeps on thread jacking which was fare enough so here it the link to where i posted them in its own thread!!

link to shiney fass-o-matic

Phil

4. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

:D

I'll start a log as soon as i get a camera, which will be a little after christmas time.

Any help with a name would be great because im stuck.

You should see the log about a week or two after christmas when my next shipment of parts comes in.

ta :)

5. modsquad

I wanted to get the BFG 6800Ultra and my Vantec PSU unit installed today..It did not happen. I have a busy week of real-world work ahead of me, so I will have to wait until next weekend. Perhaps that is best. By that time I should have my chrome stuff and will attempt to get it re-installed as well. A while back you may remember I installed innovatek's 5mm led plug in the res.
    [​IMG]
    After reading AC Aquaero VFD's manual it seems I can attach a LED to the unit and set it to become brighter/darker with the increasing temperature of the h20 loop (or blink on/off @ a given temp). What better place to put the LED than in the top-mounted reservoir's LED plug. That is pretty cool in my book.
    I wanted to get more done over last weekend, but.......

6. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

with all this stuff that you bought, your bankroll must be FAT! geez, i'm sooo jealous of all you guys.

7. slame

slame Pix, sonst glaub ich nix !

Hi,

no shame on AC .. :rolleyes:

You simply mounted it wrong. :dremel:

So ... how to mount it right ? You don´t have to use the metal bolts AC delivers. They are simply for emergency. First of all mount the aquagrafx with the plastic ones .. then mount the backplate and use the original bolts from the card with the backplate. How else should the bolts be fixed ??

Got it ? Otherwise I try to shot some pics tomorrow.

Cheers

slame

8. modsquad

I got it.. AC should include instructions!! So the metal bolts AC gives you are not needed, and you should use the stock nvidia bolts. Measure them against the bolts Aqua-Computer supplies. The stock nvidia bolts are slightly longer. The "emergency" AC bolts are too short."How else should the bolts be fixed??" With the nuts and plastic washers Aqua-Computer also supplied. (you would think). I used longer metal bolts I had and the nuts/plastic washers AC gave me and then the plastic bolts for the other (8) mounting points. I am all set, but when you spend $100 for a H20 block you should not have to guess on how to install the unit. I still say Shame on AC.......

Last edited: 15 Dec 2004
  9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Slame is AC... :worried:

10. slame

slame Pix, sonst glaub ich nix !

psccchhht .. don´t tell anyone. :duh:

just doing the shop for AC. I think they are right sitting on a manual by now. They simply thought it´s quite easy to install this block. :D sorry for the inconvenience caused.

11. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Run.... There is a spy among us...

Welcome to the forums :)

12. Shrapnill

Shrapnill What's a Dremel?

No offense Modsquad, but Im totally turned off following those red CCFLs in the front of the case. Its way over the top on the lighting in my book.

Everything else looks amazing tho.

13. modsquad

You mean this shot
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps you are correct. It reminds me of a 1950's jukebox. The lighting for the front and the inside of the case are on separate switches and I did not plan on having either on all the time (only a few red leds will always be on). Thanks for the feedback..I will think about it...

14. nissmo300

nissmo300 What's a Dremel?

I agree with Shrapnill, those lights mess it up. Great work so far :thumb:

15. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

16. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I think the lights look fine. If the modder likes them, then that's all that matters.

17. Shrapnill

Yes, exactly.

As Puggy said, its all up to you, but I'm just giving honest feedback. I see what youre sayin about looking like an old jukebox (with those bubble lights)- to me it just reveals too much of the interior in an area that isnt made to show off. The LL V1000 suffers this when modding no matter what lighting you choose, but set up against the front panel like that just seems a bit gawdy to me.

Everything else looks absolutely hot tho.

I would just custom fab an oval of that sexy red plexi for that AC block to get rid of that ugly lit thing on the side.

18. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I happen to think the lights look rather snazzy, especially in the dark, but I see what you're saying about the case, the holes all over the front panel give and inkling to what's inside already. After staring at it lit, it does seem on to show off the top part of the drive bay a bit too much in an unflattering way.

When you say "area that isn't made to show off", are you referring to the drive cage area, or just the front end specifically?

On the topc if "honest critisism", I'm not a fan of the side panel, but that's because the design isn't something I like or think is cool. Of course though, if I put a hippopotamus on mine, I probably wouldn't get many nice comments.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2004
  19. Shrapnill

Lighting the front is fine, but the drive cage to me isnt something I like attention on. Windows and lights are on the mobo/components because theyre interesting and tidy (if done properly). The backlit effect of the drive bays is just plain fugly in my book.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2004
  20. modsquad

I am not sure if you have seen the "drive cage" area of my machine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I do want some attention (lighting) on this area. Perhaps just a single 4" CCFL mounted above the laser etch.We will see. The real reason I posted the "lighting pictures" was to say I was unhappy with the orange (I want red) color. That was the reason the pictures are soo dark. Also, I don't plan to have ANY CCFL's on all the time. I want to be able to hit a switch and get a little "shock-factor". I have two units set up. One for the front lighting and another for the interrior of the case. The reservoir will have a red led and two more red leds mounted on the bottom of the case. Those will be the only lights that will be on all the time. Once again thanks for your feedback..and perhaps you are correct (2) 12" CCFL may be "too much"..