1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Blue Horizon - "MOTY" Nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by riekmaharg2, 8 Jul 2010.

1. wratterus

wratterus What's a Dremel?

Man that looks amazing! Love the PSU cover.

2. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Really stunning update mate. I love the PSU cover and the build as a whole is truly epic to say the least.

3. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This is without a doubt one of the best builds I have ever seen from both a design and execution standpoint. I have enjoyed following this project and can't wait to see final pics. I love your idea of hot-gluing the individual wires to route them like you have done instead of the usual way these days of individually sleeving each and every wire. It gives a much cleaner, more compact look. That PSU cover just smokes. It came out fantastic.

I'm the type that when it comes to modding, I'm just not that impressed with lights and 150 feet of sleeving as to me anyone can do that. Not that there is anything wrong with that per se, but I hit the back button when I see another one of the cookie cutter murdermods that are the norm these days. It is when people take time to really plan out, design, and make something that works efficiently and aesthetically that I take notice. This case fits these ideas to a T.

I should have asked this a long time ago, but where did you get your template for the PCI panel? Getting the slots and spacing right seems to be a recurring issue that drives me nuts. I really wish there was a traceable template that had both the MB mounting holes and the PCI back panel. It would save so much time. I may set about making my own.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2012
  4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

^ Agreed :)

Digital callipers & a good pci back piece to take all the measurements from & if 1mm material for it use 0.5mm sections for the bending points & clinch nuts are awesome if going the traditional way, I've grown to love making them with layered materials though, nice & solid. :)

5. motorsportcfd

motorsportcfd What's a Dremel?

Just went through the entire thread, awesome work! Great build so far, but what I noticed most is that your skill has greatly improved since the beginning!

6. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Thanks Mark :thumb: Yeah that technique scares me lol, I just don't like the thought of ruining a piece by heating too long.

Its almost inaudible when running slow, then when its running on full for high use like gaming its a little quieter than my PS3.

Cheers dream1, Stem83, wratterus, & yassarikhan786 :thumb:

Thanks :), I actually used cyanoacrylate, with its activator to glue the wires on as its clear and doesn't matter so much if you put to much on, and it comes off with debonder. The PCI template I got from Google Sketchups 3d warehouse, I then used a vernier to make it more accurate. I can upload mine to the 3d warehouse if you want to use it on sketchup?

Yep thats the way :)

Cheers motorsportcfd :thumb:, yeah I've spent alot time and effort in this project just learning how not to make things lol.

As the psu cover was slowing the air through the PSU heres the new top piece milled out at 35 degrees on the milling machine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of the slant the fan still isn't visible:

[​IMG]

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

That would be great.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2012
  8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D It's even better but with added function also, nice. :rock:

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

That is a rather nice touch and nicely cut too. Where'd you get those standoff's from?

10. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

what he said. :thumb:

11. riekmaharg2

Its uploaded for you in the 3D warehouse under the name: Motherboard tray with PCI backpanel

Please remember when using this design that it only works with the short motherboard standoffs, and will need adjusting if you want to use the longer ones. Also if you export it to Layout to print it, dont forget to set the scale as full 1:1 sometimes you have to do it twice for some reason before it actually sets 1:1.

Thanks Waynio, Djayness, & jokkos, there just a 3mm stainless steel rod chopped into pieces using an angle grinder cutting disc, then smoothed off with a ginding wheel :thumb:,

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  12. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

:jawdrop: Oh man, that is one sexy pc, and almost entirely hand built custom everything... words fail me to express how good I think this is :clap:

13. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Wow, the PSU cover looked awesome to begin with and now it looks even better :jawdrop:

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wow... Just... WOW!

15. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

^^^ Is more than i can possibly say.

However, i do have one question... how did you use a DDC and have the outlet on the LEFT??!!?? Other than that, how much to buy a case like this? LOL

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Don't think you can buy cases anywhere near this awesome :D unless the creator wants to sell. :D

17. Furball Zen

Um, duh thats what i meant :) I knew he wouldnt create a duplicate nor would i want one ;)

18. Furball Zen

Cant believe i forgot to post my original thought....

Is the reason this isnt on MDPC because its not finished?

19. riekmaharg2

Thanks everyone :thumb:
    Its a trick it not actually on the left, the outlet comes from the right and goes across to the left then goes out at an angle :)

I think that site is just for finished cases, then once its finished you can submit your or someone elses case for review.

Has anyone come across this before:

[​IMG]

Tiny cracks have appeared in my acrylic angle barbs, but the cracks are on the outside as I can feel them with my finger nail. I don't mind making a set again but I don't want to come across the same problem again, any ideas???

20. secretreeve

secretreeve Lead design and realisation manager

looks like cracks that form from contact with alchohol based solvents or stress cracks.

try making a new set and finding a way to ease the tension and stress on them.

fyi if it is stress i would get them out of the system asap as they could pop anytime, bit of a time bomb