1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project C-Macc's 2 - Sub zero arcade system..... :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mayhem, 15 Jan 2009.

1. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

2. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

thought id add a little peace about this mod and why it differs so much to so many mods on these forums. Unlike many mods this system is being solely made to be a gaming system and having the ability to be able to archive every known format and game there is. This is a massive step compared to a "Visual mod" not only do i have to contend with building and styling it and making it look acceptable i have all so to deal with more hardware components than just a water cooling system and so much more as i am all so configuring every emulator there is out there and sorting and renaming all ROMs and removing all the trash.

Here for instance over the last 7 days not only have i been configuring the hardware to work correctly and all so configure keyboard controllers and led controllers and blue tooth devices and wireless devices and so much more i have all so to contend with the front ends to each system and everything you never normally see to make this system work correctly. Every step of the way is tested fully and pushed to its limits and any errors found are corrected.

Tonight for instance i have been running renaming software to rename and find so called Bad dumps of each system and i have deleted over 1.5 terabytes of useless or corrupted files. This is time consuming and relative to the whole idea behind what i am trying to achieve. When i built my first system C-macc's there were many games that didn't work or were not correctly named and all sorts of things like this. Its fine for a home user but when you love retro so much as i do this is not good enough. If it doesn't work why doesn't it work, If its named wrong what is its real name ect ect.

I telling you this because some one said it just a arcade system and its easy. Little do they know the real work behind this system. the many hours of staying up for 48 hours because some thing just isn't right and you dare not sleep just in case you forget what you had done to that point. Not only to add the amount of leaning involved as each emulator , each game system is run differently and there is no standard format between any one of them. The amount of hours spent trolling around forms and looking on Google trying to find a answer and sifting through the masses of rubbish to get what you really need. It is sometimes like taking a 40lb back pack and hammering up and down mount Everest but once you get there you find you took the wrong route and missed something and have to start again from the bottom and work your way up again. Even once that task is achieved there is no stopping as you then move on to the next thing only to find yourself going through the whole routine once again.

I feel downright annoyed when someone comes out with "But its only a ?" ... If it was "only a" then why the hell don't they try it them self's and see if it really is "only a ?" but at the same time making sure that when they create, there thing, that it is perfect in every detail to be as close to the original as possible .... They all so tend to forget these mod's that we all create are mainly built by one person. yes some people have help along the way but this system has had no help to create , design, build cut and shape. All my mates i turn round to and ask just shove there shoulders with a dumb look and think you're crazy or as my lass says a nutty professor.

Bah hum bug .... im annoyed right now after reading that message .... Luckily it was in privet ....

3. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

I just love this mod. Im not into the arcade gaming. But im not of that generation, but well i love these mods because u can see the craftmanship and quality really good in these kind of mods.

This is just like my server, its crammed into another non modded box but the plans are there to mod it. While modding is much easier than the software work. Especially because its linux (and i dont have that much experience).

I just hope you can make this thing really work nice!

4. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Well had to cut a extra 1.5" off the arms of the frame to day as i pushed on the Cp i suddenly heard a loud cracking noise. I looked inside the Cp and found i have ripped off 2 x buttons (one on each side) the pin ball ones. The Arms were 1" still to long and had caught them as as i gave the final push it obversely ripped them to shred's ....

So i pulled out my circular saw and wiped off 1.5" on each side just to cover my ass. This will not effect the stability of the CP or frame in any way as there is still plenty of bar left to hold up the cp .. So say la vie or some thing like that.

Working on cutting blow holes into the wood now for the fans. I still don't know what water cooling system i can afford yet so i cannot cut the holes in the back just yet.

all so i started on some thing very different indeed and i have never seen this done before to a arcade set up or to any thing like this ever in modding..

1) i bought 3 different types of 3" balls

2) A mate who works in a company that has just bought a laser dot etching system for ornaments is going to attempt to etch my logo (the alien one pictured in these posts) in the middle off a ball in 3d.

3) 2 of the balls are going to be aliens in 3d and 1 is going to be the c-macc's logo in 3d.

4) This has never been done before so they do not know if it is going to work. Esp with the material that the balls are made out of.

ball 1 is pure clear
    ball 2 is clear but when lit under black light glows very bight blue
    ball 3 is smoke blue with a UV reactive die. The logo hopefully will not show until it is lit.

all 3 balls are 1 off's have been made as samples from china.

We do not know if it is going to work at all and could potential melt the inside of the balls.

All 3 balls are prefect match for my roller ball and will replace it if it works.

Pics will be posted if it works if it doest they wont even be sent back as they will just go in the bin and we may have to look at using glass or cyristal balls instead.

The idea will not be reproduced again though as are being made as real 1 off's For me.

If it does work this is defiantly going to bring the standard of my Cp up and beyond any thing out there so far hopefully.

Last edited: 4 May 2009
  5. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Small update's as such.

First off you can see the Cp is being tested and the best way to test give it to the family and let them lose .... lol. mrs pac man getting tested on the 4 way.

My lass's score has increased so it defiantly working with the dedicated 4 way joy stick she could never get onto more than level 6. she managed level 15 ... so she's happy (she wont be if she see's these pics though lol)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pics of the back box being worked on. Ive drilled 3 holes for the 120mm fans to cool the Consoles down there will be another 3 on the other side to. one thing i learnt with c-macc's 1 was that consoles just create if not more heat than a pc and enclosing them forces the temperature to abnormal levels if not ventilated correctly so we have sold that problem before it even arises.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reason why the holes look more forward is there is a 1" false wall to hide the cabling to the system and i need the holes to give good air flow hence they are in the middle of the shelf. Any one know how much it costs to have aliens laser cut into fan grills, does it effect the air flow allot if you have designs like this on them ...

Last edited: 6 May 2009
  6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to post pics of your balls.

7. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

^---- LoL + facepalm

Now that must be extremely rewarding!! =D

Last edited: 5 May 2009
  8. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

I handed my balls across last Friday. He was quite happy to receive them esp when he saw it glowed lol ...

Sorry no pic because the day they arrived within 20 min there out the door again. Apparently they have to calibrate and all sorts of stuff and its being done with in his dinner brake. i wont see them for quite a few days. Ill let you all know once i find out.

Its all about waiting. If he does pull it off which i must say we are both very dubious about it will be good.

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Track balls. Hmm, I wonder if that is as painful as tennis elbow?

john

10. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

roflmao
    facepalm

thats just wrong

11. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

these are the sort of effects were going for in colour but with out the 3d image.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Best sort of pics i can find on the net that look close to what i have.

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Really, really old joke.

"The president of the US is out jogging and finds a couple golf balls. Stuffs them in his jogging pants and fall down to his ankles. No pockets.

Jogging along he meets this really hot chick jogging. She see the lumps in his ankles and frowns.
    The president says "Golf balls"
    The chick say "I can relate. I had tennis elbow once" and jogs off
    "

john

I have socks older than some forum members and jokes older than that.:clap:

13. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

lmao ... haven't heard it before !!!

14. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I just Loved the concept! Great great work and design!

But yousurely won't be playing Men of War in this. Why? Standing on your feet for hour and hours doesn't seem to be very confy :D

Anyway, 5 stars coming from here ;)

15. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Some of the arcades I used to play at as a kid had bar stools at some of the consoles.

16. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

I have two very comfy bar stools lol. the pc section is at desk hight so you'll not be sitting in wired position the game arcade controls are normal arcade hight so again it will feel no different. All that has been thought about that's why the Cp is so deep ..

All so since you'll be seeing it on a big screen you'll not need to lift your head as again its that big you cannot miss it.

So it s a win win situation . :) ...

I learnt a lot from my first arcade i built hence this was has taken alot of work to design correctly.

So yeh you'll be playing men of war on it or crisis or pac man or any thing else you can think of including the Wii and the xbox and xbox 360 and ps3 ... ;) ... well my kids will, you wont unless you buy one ....

hehe ....

and if this guys who's contacted me is for real you never know you might see it in a local pub ;) ..... or even some of my other designs ...

Last edited: 6 May 2009
  17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd like to get a few balls like that for Bloo, but they'd have to be 1 1/2". The current power ball is getting fingerprinty.
    -Don't take that the wrong way either.:hehe:

18. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

I think the smallest balls they do is 65mm the problem is getting 1 off balls are seriously not cheap.

19. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

this is looking great man
    good work

20. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Well no more development form me over the next few day's i need to put her all together as i have a some one comming up to see her and well that's enough said for now.

Will carry on with my logs once ive spoken to this person. "hopefully good things will come of this" ...