1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Project Fix-it

Discussion in 'Modding' started by weatherdown, 2 Jan 2012.

1. weatherdown

weatherdown What's this button fo......

Hello! My name is Drew, and I have a problem. Well not really a problem... More of an annoyance (especially after seeing some of the work you guys do on here :lol:)

I have a current computer that I never "completed". It works and runs great, but as you will see from the pictures below... It is horrid to look upon.

The Specs:

EVGA X58 4 Way SLI Classified Mainboard
    Intel® Core™ i7 975 @ 3.8GHz
    Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
    Corsair CMD 12GB DDR3 1600MHz
    DUAL NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896 MB GDDR3 SLi'd
    (2) WD 300GB VelociRaptor SATA 3 Gb/s
    WD 2TB SATA II 32MB Cache
    WD 3TB SATA III 64MB Cache
    (plus a few other 320GB Hard Drives)

And now the mess....:worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

k.. enough embarrassment for now.. Anyways.. so the real reason I'm posting this is not only to show the progress of fixing this mess, but also to get input on exactly HOW to fix it. :dremel:

I currently don't have any supplies on hand to fix it and was wondering what YOU thought I should do with it. that includes colors, lighting, sleeving etc. :confused:

I don't currently have any tools to mod anything (someday) and I'm keeping it fan cooled for now as well. I move too much at the moment (I'm also currently deployed US Marine) to chance making it water cooled, although that is my ultimate goal someday.

So if you all wouldn't mind, please give me your input below. Also, suggestions on what types/brands I should get will be helpful as this is my first time doing anything like this. I know the gear... not how to make it look pretty :hip:

Thanks in advance!!

Oh ya.. one more thing.... I especially want to get that power supply back in the case somewhere..... suggestions for that??

Edit:

So since I wrote this thread a few hours ago, i've since done a lot of research on how to go about doing this. Which.. I feel kind of dumb because my normal job in the military is (or was) wiring... sleeving and heat shrink.. (it's been a couple years since i did anything like that)

So.. I've gone ahead and ordered a few tools and supplies i might need. wire crimpers, pin removal set, some extra wire in case i botch something and a few sets of heat shrink (black). I haven't ordered sleeving material yet and I haven't decided on what colors to do.. my GF says purple. But if purple, what color lighting? current color is red (stock color on the case)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hmmm... Remove top fan. Insert psu in psu slot.:thumb: OK, that's one thing down.:D

3. j0rd

j0rd FLOSS folder

drop a few of those HDD's into a low power file server, stick it on the network, will reduce case clutter.
    Do you spend much time duplicating optical media? ifr not, loos an optical drive, another one down.
    Sleeve and hide the cables, all up this will reduce the "mess" in your chassis considerably, and like Cheaps said, mount the PSU.

Just my $0.02 but

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nah- No point in having a massive case if you don't use the space. You just need to use the space behind the motherboard better.

That PCB on the face needs to be behind the bezel, and lose the logos. The drives look 1000% better if you buff all the crud printed on them off.

Purple goes with red. You can trust most girls with color coordination.

5. weatherdown

for some reason I remember having an issue when trying to mount it up there... looking at it now though, I can't remember why... :duh:

Thanks for the input guys. I don't have the tools to buff anything off, and i've only got my room to work in and it's set up to give me a massive shower should any sort of smoke (or i'm sure dust) start flying around :hehe:

Any recommendations on brands for the sleeving? maybe a few fans to replace the ones i have?

Red and Purple... hmm :idea:

6. weatherdown

Figured i'd post a quick update. no pics this time though :lol:

Waiting on my stuff to get in the mail now. just got the "Shipped" notification on the sleeving. I'm going to go with Purple and Black.

Also got a couple red color fans and some other bits.

I'm thinking to paint the interior a glossy black as well. I think that will clean it up nicely. :cooldude:

Got a time crunch now as I want to have this done before I get rotated to my next post in March.. hopefully the mail system picks up.. i'm still waiting on Christmas presents :miffed:

If anyone has any ideas that don't require power tools.. let me know.. i'm kinda winging it, though now i have a basic idea of what i want to do :geek: