1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: GALLUZZO-I < 2 Aug. update: Swithes >

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by L1U, 1 Sep 2011.

1. L1U

L1U Minimodder

hello everybody, first post for my first heavy mod. I've been modding a little before this project, but nothing serious just little things on my past computer cases.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The goal of this project is to build a system that has to be:

• nice looking overall with a wood-white-steel theme with some black details in it
    • silent and easy to clean
    • effectively air-cooled

list of all updates:

[WALLOFTEXT]
    [/WALLOFTEXT]

first things first: a big thanks to GANZAROLI for accepting to sponsor this build with generous discounts for wood and tools in their shops!

dont want to bore you more than that, so i'll start quickly with some updates of the past weeks, building the main structure of the case etc...

first : cutting straight edges into the 45x45mm silver fir laths, went pretty well afterall... would have been better cutting with a circular saw (which i dont have)

[​IMG]

more cutting (the system is 100% ghetto-style but effective afterall)

[​IMG]

base assembled with 4 M6x120 screws

[​IMG]

assembling the 750x44x14mm silver fir back-panel

[​IMG]

M3 screws and 20x20 L steel support

[​IMG]

preparing the back-panel to be mounted ont the base

[​IMG]

back-panel mounted

[​IMG]

cutting the 750x180x14mm side-panels out of bigger slats

[​IMG]

side panels ready to be assembled

[​IMG]

side panels on with no back panel (had to check the exact size first and make minor adjustements)

[​IMG]

lateral and back panels installed together

[​IMG]

top panel (exactly the same as the bottom one, adapted for an opening door)

[​IMG]

closer look to the top

[​IMG]

there it is, the main structure complete, this is the rear view

[​IMG]

and the front view

[​IMG]

with the small door on top

[​IMG]

enough for now, more updates very soon!

Last edited: 2 Aug 2012
  2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Looks like a nice idea :) Will be watching.

P.S. You may want to resize your pics a bit, i guarantee people will comment on the size of them ;)

3. L1U

L1U Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

update 1 - fan holes (list of all updates)

the goal is to create a straight airflow from the bottom of the case to the top, the idea for now is to dust-filter both grills (intake and exhaust) with some foam for different reasons: the intake simply dust-filtering, the exhaust for noise dampening. But i will think more about that in the weeks to come, i'm not even close to that decision now.

the airflow should be something like that:

[​IMG]

i will try to balance intake and exhaust cfm in order not to cause a different pressure between the interior of the case and the room ambient.

i bought some random metal sheet 500x200x1mm (sorry for the terribad picture quality, i'll try to fix that too asap)

[​IMG]

holes drawning

[​IMG]

me cutting the holes with the rotary tool (it's not a dremel but i used dremel cutting wheel)

[​IMG]

result after the first edge polish

[​IMG]

positioning on the bottom panel (i removed the wood, it was useless)

[​IMG]

preparing the top door (the 2x 140mm fans will be mounted on the door itself)

[​IMG]

door cut

[​IMG]

ready to be screwed

[​IMG]

door ready

[​IMG]

i had to cut the hinges because they were too big for the fans to fit in

[​IMG]

door mounted

[​IMG]

global picture with the door open

[​IMG]

and with the door closed

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  4. L1U

L1U Minimodder

will do, thanks

5. L1U

L1U Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

update 2 - the interior top (list of all updates)

with the remaining part of the second 500x200x1mm steel sheet i decided to cover the last part of the interior top of the case, just to give it a more "finished" allure.

so, obviously it's dremel time again! yay

[​IMG]

in position

[​IMG]

screwed with the door closed, edges are not perfect but i'll fix that later wit the file

[​IMG]

final result

[​IMG]

thats all for now, more to come soon!

6. sebpruiz

sebpruiz What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far, I'll definitely watch how this project goes. :)

7. L1U

L1U Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

update 3 - mobo tray (part 1) (list of all updates)

there we are, it's tray time! here is the thing: i needed a clean surface to place the mobo, the hard disks, and all other stuff. it had to be:

• smooth and clean
    • white (i want to give the system a white-steel-wood theme overall)
    • easy to cut, drill and to work with

so the best choice i could make was perspex of course! plus this gives me some bending-options to use if needed.

there it is, 500x1000x3mm white cast acrylic sheet, 500000 mm² of stunning white beauty :thumb:
    ... meh, okay it' not so white with the protective layer on, but i know this will be gorgeous when naked :D

[​IMG]

but first things first, I cant just put the perspex on the wood, i want to make some mechanical-system to hold the sheet in place, then I'll screw it all the way in.

I chose to use the two side wood panels to fit and secure the acrylic on the back of the case, so I had to make a minor design schedule to have the joints to fit in the proper way.

drawing the cuts, you can see autocad open in the background, sorry for the picture quality i have to find a better camera, this one just cant do it :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fist hole cutting with the jigsaw, this one will be for the optical drive.

Yes i know i know it's vertical it should be horizontal, but face it, nobody use cds and dvds anymore, i use steam for my games, and when i install an OS i use a pen drive because it's faster. so basically i'm just putting that in if i EVER had to use a cd once in the coming years ;)

[​IMG]

and the second one too, this one is for the PSU cable, switch and exhaust grill

[​IMG]

the whole panel (the little hole at the top will be for the cables coming out of the MB

[​IMG]

detail of the joints

[​IMG]

and the joint on the left panel (it's the small cut on the right side of it) it's just 3 mm deep so it's barely visible ok, but it's there trust me... here is a detail

[​IMG]

wel now it's seroius perspex time, i drawn the edges and the holes on the sheet like i did with the lateral wood panels, now on place ready to be cut

some clamps will help me have that done with no harm (for me or the acrylic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

first cut

[​IMG]

round cut for the 120mm fan pushing air on the back of the mobo

[​IMG]

first edge polish with the file, but the jigsaw cut was pretty good itself

[​IMG]

and there it is, nice and clean. i could not expect the cut to be better than this, i'm really happy actually

[​IMG]

file polish detail

[​IMG]

parts ready to be assembled (suspense)

[​IMG]

and yes! this worked perfectly! the acrylic is perfectly trapped inbetween the wood structure, no screws were needed to hold it in place! :thumb:

[​IMG]

detail of the joints

[​IMG]

view from the back of the case

[​IMG]

up to date, the case in all it's glory

[​IMG]

that's it, more updates soon (i hope) i'm waiting for some standoffs to come from hong-kong, it's a pretty long trip to Italy but i hope i'll have them in the next week!

8. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Looking good so far. :)

You may want to attach fan on top door and see if you have clearance to open, looks like it might be a little tight :)

9. O_Pucaro

O_Pucaro What's a Dremel?

10. L1U

L1U Minimodder

ha you caught me :p

you are perfectly right, but the door is only for plugging cables in the mobo (HDMI, mouse, keyboard and stuff) so actually i dont care if it cant be fully opened, i just need a little room to work in there and then close the door til i have to move the computer or change some peripheral

wood is the way :rock: great work in there too congrats!

11. O_Pucaro

O_Pucaro What's a Dremel?

thanks, wood :rock:

12. L1U

L1U Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

update 4 - the front tray (PSU, HD's) (list of all updates)

i'll make the front thay with a piece of perspex, the original idea was to screw it on the side panels, but i watched some videos on youtube of people bending acrylic and decide i definitely had to give it a try.

before the bending, the cutting. before the cutting, the drawning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the cutting (sorry my big head is covering a part of the work, daddy took the pic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the tray ready and waiting to be bent!

[​IMG]

an heatgun bending test, went pretty well and really straightforward: clamp it, heat the external side being careful not to melt it and finally bend it.

[​IMG]

now the serious part, the tray in position

[​IMG]

removed the protective film

[​IMG]

ready, heated, bent! (the little melting you see is only the protective tape dont worry)

[​IMG]

pretty good result, i'm really happy with it

[​IMG]

and in position, again, no screws were used to hold it in place: i just used the joint with the wood on the right side and slided the left side in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

detail of the joint from the back of the case

[​IMG]

from the inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats'it, i'm still waiting for the standoffs to come from hong-kong, unfortunately i just realised that i ordered the wrong ones :wallbash: i asked for the 14 mm and should have gone for the 18mm... meh, i just hope the short ones will do the job as planned(more details in the next posts)!

13. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

looking good :) but 45x45mm seems quite the overkill too me :p but thats going to be a sturdy case indeed :)

i'm myself sketching on a wooden case in a "raven" style with the 90'C tilted mb :)

14. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

wooden cases are awsome, and mixing it with white acrylic almost cant fail:D

Great work so far mate:)

15. L1U

L1U Minimodder

I agree, this will be a very sturdy case, but I don't really care as long as I wont be moving it a lot :)

I promise I'll try not to fail to keep your statement true, thanks for support!

16. TheBlackSunshine

TheBlackSunshine What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome! I've wanted to build a PC case for a while now, but have been put off because I suck at metal working.... I never considered wood as an option. I might do now!

17. L1U

L1U Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

update 5 - the DVD burner support (list of all updates)

well guys, it's time again for some steel in there, I have to make the support for the DVD burner, and as always I want it to be 100% mechanically assembled; in all the project I want to use glue only if I really HAVE to, there is no comeback from glue :nono:

so, the hole in the side panel is ready from previous mods, I just need the support itself, first let's grab some metal

[​IMG]

tape + basic drawings and dremel will do the rest

[​IMG]

I want to make an U-shape so I'll need to bend the sheet in two places, this is the first bending setup

[​IMG]

a good push for the first fold and then some nice hammering

[​IMG]

ah, the hammer... what a powerful tool :dremel:

[​IMG]

second fold went very straightforward, here's the result

[​IMG]

drilling pilot holes

[​IMG]

i want the screws to be on par of the metal sheet so I'll have to push the head in

[​IMG]

some good hammering and there it is

[​IMG]

final result

[​IMG]

then i moved on to the acrylic, drilled some 10mm holes to allow all the screw's head to go all the way in and fix the support flat on the acrylic itself

[​IMG]

in place

[​IMG]

just a test with some random CD reader I had

[​IMG]

and view from behind

[​IMG]

the case up to date with the front tray in place again

[​IMG]

there we are, I made a big order yesterday from caseking, an other one for a led momentary switch from an ebay dealer in UK. i hope I'll be going on some more before all orders arrive! :thumb:

18. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice work L1U, you've got some impressively neat jigsaw and dremel skills :thumb:

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

You should make sure that your GPU is pushing hot air out, I think some may pull cold air in which might mess up your zen

20. L1U

L1U Minimodder

thanks! i hope my work can be inspiring for yours! and good luck wood-cutting :thumb:

thank you very much, this means a lot coming from you!

actually all air blown to the gpu heatsink from it's own fan will stay in the case, the thing is I will try to keep a good air recycling in all the case at all moment so I hope this wont be a problem