1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Put a higher best offer on ebay, seller takes lower off

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 19 Sep 2018.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have some monitors on the bay at the moment, but it looks as though they're going to go for FAR less than they are worth. I have to admit, I may have to act in bad form and not go through with the sale. Anyone know what to do in this case?

It's shitty I know, but I'd rather keep and find a use for them than sell them on for so cheap.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I've seen items disappear from sale as they are no longer available because they are 'damaged'...

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If that is your plan remove the items from sale before the auction ends. You can withdraw an auction a lot of times before Ebay gets upset with you, but you can't refuse finished auctions without incurring Ebay customer service's wrath.

If you do let the auction finish they obviously can't force you to accept the payment and send the item, but they tend to to block access to selling and/or suspend accounts over it.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2018
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nah, we can save a lot of time and flag all ebay users as stupid until they prove otherwise.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As someone who buys more frequently than they sell can I say:

What you do is that when you have a clear idea of the minimum value you are willing to let something go for you either start the auction at that or set a buy it now price. You don't set a no reserve auction going and then waste everyone involved's time buy not honouring it.

...Or just do what everyone else is suggesting, because you can get away with it I suppose. Whatever :rollingeyes:

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Don't forget that the prices normally rocket at the last second when everyone tries to snipe the item.

I know how to check their max bids, but it is not advisable to post that... :D

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

There was a time when appealing to my conscience would've worked...but the last two years have been a lesson in what people are truly like, so meh.

Maybe I'll restart the auctions with a reserve price. Never done that before.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think generally a higher starting price (basically an open reserve price) is preferable and less potentially off-putting to buyers than a private reserve.

Also I was appealing to your sense of hypocrisy posting in this thread about users wasting your time, rather than your sense of conscience; That is your own business.