1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about living in London

Discussion in 'General' started by cderalow, 6 Jun 2006.

1. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

I have a friend that hopes to move to London to be a teacher for a year, and was curious as to what she might be paying for income taxes as a legal non-resident for a year. As well as what the laws are in Britain as far as claiming residency and citizenship?

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

........well at this early hour of the morning all i can think of is if you are from outside the UK is get a working Visa then i believe income tax is based on how much she will earn but its usually 17.5%.

Also why would she want citizenship?,getting redidency is pretty simple tho.

P.S. where in London Will She be based?

3. $loth

$loth What's a Dremel?

She will probably be taxed the same as if she were a UK citizen, which is 17.5%, that's up to around £33,000 (after which it goes up to 40%!!!!!!1)

4. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

You get ripped of Hardcore, you know the score in the Uk :(

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You getting confused with 17.5% which is VAT (Tax on everything you purchase) Income tax is different.

The amount you can earn before paying tax varies depending on the allowance set by the chancellor at the most recent budget. For the tax year 2006/2007 personal allowance is £5,035. (For the over-65s it is £7,280; for the over-75s it is £7,420)

On the first £2,150 you earn, you pay tax at 10%. For the tax year 2006/2007, from £2,150 to £33,000 it is 22%; and more than £33,000 you pay at 40%. But, for example, you only pay higher-rate tax of 40% on the amount you earn above £32,400 - not on everything you earn.

The effect of the personal allowance means the 22% tax bracket now starts on earnings of £7,185. A typical worker will cross the higher-rate threshold when earnings reach £40,185.

All this can seem pretty complex and most people working for an employer do not have to worry about allowances or what tax they pay as the salaries/finance dept will normally do the calculations automatically for you.

edit: phew that was a mouthful!

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It's expensive, very expensive. Just tell your friend to be prepared for her money to be stolen becuase the government can't spend wisely.
    (Hell, I don't know how they managed to keep VAT for 90 years)

7. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Wow theres some very usefull information there, but ive already decided way in advance my first house will not be in England, or the UK, not that i dont like it here, i just prefer other places. The house prises here are stupidly high and getting higher and id be suprised if anyone can afford a decent house in London aka Robdon, not that much of England has cheap houses