1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Recommend me a mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph4ZeD, 28 May 2011.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My mouse is dying. Need a good mouse. My previous mouse was rechargeable in its own dock, was dead handy. Any recommendations would be sweet.

2. Subv3rse

Subv3rse What's a Dremel?

Are you a southpaw?

Are are you one of those "normals"?

---
    Subv3rse

3. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

Razer deathadder.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The best gaming mouse I have ever had is the Logitech MX1000 and is still very much in use. For shooters I can assign various keys to the three side buttons so stuff like reloading and any other quick fire keys become easily integrated in to the various games I play. Really show my stuff in Alien Swarm with quick reload times! Also one very important feature is that it has an off switch. The single reason this mouse has lasted for the past few years!

I think the eastern 'used' market on fleabay is pretty much the only place you can source the MX these days.

5. crosshair

crosshair It's life Jim but not as we know it

I use a Logitech G5, (being replaced by the G500), and a Logitech MX518. Personally, I wouldn't use anything else for gaming.:thumb:

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'm a normal. It's funny you should mention the MX1000 because the mouse I've been using for the last 4 years is the MX Revolution.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Razer Deathadder here. I've tried Logitech, Microsoft and Razer in my time, all types pretty much due to working various places. Razer Deathadder just feels so nice to use.

8. Subv3rse

Subv3rse What's a Dremel?

<Politely removes himself from the conversation, muttering something about "No love for South Paws"> :p

---
    Subv3rse

sp4nky likes this.
  9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

For me it's the Logitech MX Revolution... but it's not done anymore, unless you get the Logitech MX 3200 keyboard+mouse combo. It has Lithium-ion battery, long battery life, and very fast recharge... about 15sec on the recharge give you 30min of usage, great for emergency. This mouse was the replacement for the MX1000

Second choice, is the MX Revolution replacement, the Logitech Professional MX, very similar mouse for the MX Revolution, but it doesn't have the auto-switch hyper scroll mode (it was and is an MX Revolution exclusive feature), it's replaced by a button which presses on a mechanical system to do the switch. The mechanical system is well build, it won't break after intensive usage. And they remove the side switch for 2 additional button (one of the them when you press down with you thumb on the place where you thumb is.. it's a hidden physical button, easy to press for gaming). It comes with a rechargeable AA battery (Eneloop), and the mouse can recharge it. Up sides: 1000DPI mouse which is plenty for gaming on a 24inch 1920x1200 screen or lower. you can perhaps even go higher resolution also without problem. You can switch DPI on the fly with the mouse, you have a USB plug which allows you to recharge and use your mouse.. so if your mouse is getting during a game session (which might occur as it's a simple AA rechargeable battery, so life span is short), you can plug-it in, and no problem, no game interruption.

I had the MX1000, very good mouse as well. I still have it, and still works like a charm. I got it a few months after it's release. I am impressed that the Lithium-ion battery still holds a charge. My brother uses it now.

In order from best to least best (because they are all very good, just minor things makes it a notch better):
    > MX Revolution > Performance MX > MX 1000. You can easily place the MX 1000 above the Performance MX, if you consider he longer battery life more important than the DPI switch, more buttons, and 1000DPI.

Like all Logitech mouses, every button, despite what the label on the mouse says (ie: Zoom), is programmable, and the software allows you per-application settings. Simple XML file switch hack exists, like uberOptions, which give you all the possible settings that exists or can be done, available to you on the Logitech mouse/keyboard software (SetPoint).

All Logitech mouses has a 3 year warranty, and has the best after sale service of the industry. Mouse broke? A quick 5min call, will get you sent to you (without having to return the broken product) a brand new mouse.

Other stories of Logitech excellent support:
    http://consumerist.com/2010/03/5-year-old-speaker-dies-logitech-replaces-entire-system-for-free.html
    http://consumerist.com/2009/08/logitech-replaces-mouse-under-warranty-when-tweeted-at.html
    http://consumerist.com/2008/11/logitech-helps-you-out-just-because-they-feel-like-it.html
    http://consumerist.com/2010/03/logitech-miraculously-sends-you-a-new-remote-when-yours-dies.html

Logitech.. a bit on the expensive side... but worth EVERY penny. For the product quality you get, all the way up to after sale service.

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think while you were typing that epic post Goodbytes you missed mine about how the MX Revolution is the mouse I'm already using!

11. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

[​IMG]

Has to to be DangerMouse the only mouse I'd recommend

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

MX518 is what I'm currently using. Although I'd vouch for the SteelSeries Ikari Optical if you can find one. Those things are incredibly comfortable. Very very Comfortable.

13. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

If you were happy with the Revolution MX (which I would recommend also, with some caveats) then its replacement, the Performance MX would be the most logical choice. The main downside in my view has been Logitech's rather sucky SetPoint software - but recent versions have improved (which you will no doubt be aware of) specifically in ditching Yahoo's junkware.

However Logitech's software for its gaming mice (G-series) is far worse - (garish looks, doesn't save window settings, fewer button functions (uberOptions can't help here), mouse has to be selected from menu even if only device present) otherwise the pricey G70 would be worth a look (similar shape to the MX but with more buttons, a swappable AA battery with the option of a charging cable, onboard memory, adjustable DPI/sampling rate) - as it stands I would suggest steering clear or only buying online (where you have the legal right to return items for any reason within 7 days).

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The thing I loved about the MX Revolution was the integrated rechargeable battery - just pop it in the dock and recharge in 30 mins or an hour, and it lasted a long long time when fully charged. I'm realistic that mice like that command a substantial price premium.

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've got both the G500 and the MX Revolution... Love them both.. I'd go for the G500 atm though.

16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Depends on your budget. I have the world's cheapest mouse and I find it oddly awesome, It might not have the branding, or the LED's or whatnot of the more expensive mice, but it's served me for several years, survived being bashed, and still functions like a dream.

£22 A4Tech Oscar 748-K

17. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I use the Roccat Kova+ mouse, with a Razer Sphex mat. The mouse is bloody brilliant. It's comfortable for long periods of time, can be used left or right handed, has seven buttons (one of which you can hold to then have a full set of different functions for the others) and a button to cycle your DPI. It moves smoothly and the weight is good. It also has the option of seven different LED colour options to go with whatever theme you have, bonus.

18. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

G500 Cheesecake

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

On the whole: ask around. See if there aren't any shops the stock mice that you can actually have a look at and play with; go with what you like the most. I enjoy my X748K, even though it's a fairly tall mouse, your mileage may vary, us forum-lurkers and sit here and throw makes and models at you all day; but it won't make the slightest bit of difference if what we reccomend is uncomfortable, so have a nose through any PC shops in the area. Places like PC World tend to have stuff out, albeit not the gaming mice, but at least a fair range.

TL;DR version: Don't commit to anything unless you're sure, see if there aren't any mice you can play with physically before you buy.

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Very true. Everyone has a different hand size, and preferences...
    I love my MX Revolution and Performance MX, but I have a friend with smaller hand, and find the mouse too big... Some people can't stand that the mouse doesn't have 30 macro keys, and 9 xillion DPI, where the sensor is more defined then a professional grade XLR digital camera multiplied by IMAX films + 2 point definition. For me, 800DPI is perfect. I don't see any different to 1000DPI, and with 56 000 DPI, yes your mouse moves smoother when you move it fast, and doesn't skip 1 pixel during that move, but so what?! At the end of the day, it's the same to me, even in games.