1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other [Resolved?] Trying to get new build to start and now also broke current comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oscy, 27 Oct 2014.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

Hallowe'en update: spazmochad came round and tried his utmost. It appears to be the motherboard being completely crazy. The PSU, RAM, processor etc. run fine. Just need to buy another motherboard to confirm this completely.

Also my current computer starts now, I hadn't connected it back properly.

--------------------------------------

Previous update edit: In short, further experimentation has lead to now my cooler not working. Seeing as trying to fix it myself has lead to my current computer and my new computer undergoing further damage, I have no choice but to contact a shop or person to fix it. I appreciate the help, it's down to the motherboard, PSU or processor, but let's take the hint.

I'll update you all on what the problem was when it's found.

---------------------------------------

I press the power button and it turns on, the fan(s) I hear and the power light comes on, then turns off. If I press the power button again, it won't turn on. Though when I unplugged it and pushed some connectors, it turned on again doing the same thing. Where to go from here?

EDIT: Was about to try my current PSU but I can't see how it would come out of the case. It appears it is one of those PSU-case combo, I've heard you can't change the PSU on those. I reconnected it and now my current computer doesn't start at all.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2014
  2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

There are a few things you can check - it's about eliminating potential problems until you find the actual problem :)

I take it you're not seeing anything onscreen when you're powering up? No BIOS splash screen or anything?

Have you tried booting without your GPU (i.e. using the onboard GPU on your CPU)? Also worth trying with one stick of RAM at a time just in case it's a RAM issue.

Stupid question, but do you definitely have the CPU fan plugged into the correct fan header on the motherboard? And have you applied thermal paste/compound correctly when installing the CPU?

What CPU and motherboard do you have? It possibly could be a BIOS issue but without knowing what CPU and mobo you're using it's hard to say.

Finally, it's possibly worth checking that your motherboard doesn't have any bent pins, but I'd only do this once you've done the above first.

3. oscy

oscy Modder

Nothing comes up. If it did I don't think my monitor would have the time to put it up anyway, it's litterally immediate on-off with only the fans and the light have the chance to start up for 0.1 seconds.

I was worried about the CPU cooler because I don't know if it's on 100% right. However years ago I once took off a cooler and put it back on without paste (didn't know it needed it), and it still started for a few seconds (half a minute even) before turning itself off. So I assume it's not paste or the cooler since it doesn't even really start.

It seems the PSU cables are in fine, it would be nice if they clicked.

The CPU is 2500K and motherboard is Gigabyte's Z77M-D3H.

I'll take out the GPU and the second stick of RAM and see what happens.

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Check the power and reset switches are correctly connected from the case to mobo

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I have found in the past when this happens its either a short or the PSU hasn't got the guts to fire everything up. Start by disconnecting everything. Then one at a time reconnect it all and see if it powers up and stays on. It could be something as simple as the mouse or keyboard shorting out a usb, so have a look in the slots and make sure everything is as it should be. Even go as far as disconnecting the GPU and seeing if the it all starts up. Its just a process of elimination.

If the GPU has a back plate check its not touching anything, same with the CPU back plate.

If none of that works bash it with a large hammer:D

6. oscy

oscy Modder

I just tried without the GPU and one stick of RAM (both of them), same thing.

What is the barest that should start? CPU, cooler, one stick of RAM; no hard drive, no GPU, no fans even?

My PSU-CPU cable had two ends with 4 pins, I assume it's ok just using one of the ends, the second 4-socket end doesn't go anywhere. I couldn't find a good PSU connector guide, a really detailed one.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2014
  7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Have at least one fan connected direct to the header on the mobo, preferably the CPU one and as I said check all the usb slots and any connections to make sure there is no shorting going on. If possible try another PSU to rule out the possibility the it is knackered. Don't just disconnect the GPU remove it totally, it will still be getting power from the PCIE slot. A pC will start with just rge 24 pin mobo connection and the CPU connection as a bare minimum, so that could be a good starting point.

And as for the ram try it in different slots in case one is a dud

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The extra CPU power cable used to be 4 pin in the past (and still is 4 pin on many budget mainboards) while top end mainboards at some point moved to a 8 pin connector, the psu having 2x4 pin connectors for CPU power is just to be compatible with both types of mainboard.

So if your mainboard only has a 4 pin connector near the cpu don't worry about the second one going nowhere.

9. oscy

oscy Modder

Tried redoing the processor and cooler and started it with one RAM and that's it, still the same.

Would it matter if the processor came wrapped in kitchen roll?

Was about to try my current PSU but I can't see how it would come out of the case. It appears it is one of those PSU-case combo, I've heard you can't change the PSU on those.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2014
  10. oscy

oscy Modder

And now my current computer doesn't start at all! Oh **** oh **** oh ****! :waah:

11. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm going to Google computer repair places in my area and hope for low fees and no dodginess to fix BOTH computers now. I'm done. I'm completely done.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

OK bud, sorry to hear that you're still having problems. Take a deep breath, don't panic and be methodical - don't rush and just take your time. We've all been here :)

What I'd do, if I were you, is unplug everything except the CPU from the motherboard of your new PC, take the motherboard out of the case and sit it on the motherboard box. Don't plug in the GPU, RAM, HDDs or anything else for now. Hook up your monitor to the motherboard's HDMI or DVI connector. Now connect your PSU to the mobo and power up (you may need to use a screwdriver to bridge the "power on" pins of the F_PANEL connector as you won't have these connected to your case's power switch).

This should at least tell you whether your problem is due to a short within the case. It's quite easy to accidentally create a short by not having the I/O shield for the mobo fitting quite right, or by having something touching the bare metal of the case (you are using motherboard standoffs, aren't you? :))

It could be the PSU that's at fault - what make and model are you using, and is it new or second-hand?

Assuming that this gets you somewhere, you can try adding components one at a time (start with one stick of RAM at a time, then go from there).

Good luck.

13. oscy

oscy Modder

So not even plugging in all the little connections for power sw, reset etc.? What do you mean by using the screwdriver to bridge the power on pins?

Would the side of the board touching the side of the case short it out?

I am using standoffs.

The PSU is a Seasonic M12 II Evo 750W. I made a point of buying a 'tier 1' PSU. It's new.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2014
  14. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Silly question I know.

But have you double checked the cooler is properly connected to the CPU and not loose anywhere as In the past I have seen it where it wont boot

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Normally, you'd plug the power switch from your case into the appropriate bit of your motherboard (marked as red PW + - in the F_PANEL section in the corner of your mobo). As the idea is that you'll be testing stuff outside the case, it doesn't make sense to plug the power switch into your motherboard, so you'll need to close the circuit by hand in order to prompt your barebones computer into starting up. An easy way to do this is to take the point of a flat-head screwdriver and touch it to the PW + and PW - terminals on your motherboard (without touching any other pins!).

I must confess that I've never heard the term "tier 1" used in relation to PSUs, but yours should be a quality unit.

16. oscy

oscy Modder

It seems solid. I've reseated it once. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, as it slides around a bit with me trying to get the screws in.

17. oscy

oscy Modder

Wait that's not gonna electrocute me, is it? :eeek:

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Not unless your screwdriver is entirely made of conductive metal. The voltage is going to be 12V at most so you should be fine :)

19. oscy

oscy Modder

I've tried it with just the 24-pin, 4-pin, cpu, cooler and hdmi and tv connected, same thing happens: fans in cpu and psu start for a split second, and won't start again. I guess next step is to reseat the cpu cooler again.

There is a mm clearance between the 24-pin male and female, it won't go any further unless I snap the motherboard.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hmm. At least we've identified that it isn't shorting out. I wouldn't worry about the 24pin not being entirely flush, it should be fine as it is.

If you are reseating the CPU cooler, you should probably double check that your motherboard doesn't have any bent or snapped pins in the CPU socket.