1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays "Rift" Noun: A serious break in friendly relations.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stanley Tweedle, 14 Jun 2016.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Thus we can see that Oculus HMD VR is very aptly named yes?

I have done a complete 180 over the past 3 months. I was always a big Oculus/Palmey fan and loved the year I spent using Octopus DK2. I began to turn around about the time CV1 between pre-orders and shipping delays. I began thinking more and more about the features Vive had. I pre-ordered Vive more than a month after my CV1 pre-order.

I was shocked when my Vive shipped on schedule!

Meanwhile my CV1 pre-order was delayed for 2 months.

A week or so after setting up and using my Vive I cancelled CV1.

It looks like I made the right choice... not just in terms of hardware but I don't think Oculus are trustworthy.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52600...m-dev-shitton-money-rift-exclusive/index.html

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Eh, I can't really get that worked up about it.
    Explicit and de-facto exclusives have been the reality for decades, on PC and elsewhere, and they haven't 'killed gaming' yet. If I have to wait a few months to play a certain game on a certain HMD, or (heaven forfend) not play something, it just isn't that big of a deal and is something everyone has had to deal with for the entire history of video gaming.

3. Stanley Tweedle

Ordinarily one would agree it's not that big a deal. Issue here is that people trusted Palmey and he is doing a 180 on his previous statements.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

They are both struggling for sales, picking up popular games as exclusives would encourage more sales. PSVR games list is crazy good in comparison to what VIVE and Oculus will have offered so far is not helping them.

Sonys list of launch titles for PSVR reads as Gran turismo sport, Final Fantasy 15, The new Batman game and Star Wars battlefront. 4 major titles that would sell systems themselves. ( E3 confirmation on all games listed ) + multiple others trusted reviews have the list.

Leaves both VIVE and Oculus needing big games to compete. New Sony and Microsoft consoles sound very powerful.

Future might be VR just maybe not on PCs would be hard to take for its biggest supporters.

5. Stanley Tweedle

Vive Fallout 4, Project Cars, Serious Sam, Eve Valkyrie, DCS World, Elite D to name a few. Not a bad list and a lot more to come.

Also the "PSVR will be very powerful" is typical pre-sales nonsense. PSVR is a good thing for VR as a whole but it's not going to get PC VR users selling their Vive's or CV1's.

Let's not forget that any console is severely locked-down and limited. I like flight sims and DCS World has amazing VR support. FSX works great in VR with FlyInside. Educational VR experiences, Unreal VR editor and Unity VR editor coming. PC VR has nothing to worry about.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2016
  6. rollo

rollo Modder

Said new consoles, they have same performance flops as the new Nvidia cards. Which is faster than the PCs minimum of a Nvidia 970.

7. Stanley Tweedle

PSVR is good for the VR industry... No doubt about that.

Ultimately it's for games and nothing else.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oculus are putting their resources behind Xbox VR. PC is on the backburner.

PSVR is a good thing for gaming but it'll be average. OC has the best hardware but the shittest ecosystem. I tried Vive and could not get past seeing the individual pixels, which I didn't find with Rift. Others who tried PSVR told me it's not a great fit, not great quality and noticably lower res.

9. Stanley Tweedle

So you tried CV1 and u couldn't see individual pixels? The second lens softens the fresnel rings, could that be what you noticed?

I have a friend 8.4 miles from me who has CV1 but I haven't tried it yet. The thought of it bores me. I know it's lightweight and comfortable but then I don't have issues wearing Vive.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Bindibadgi Apple has proved in many years that the eco system sells devices. If your eco system is crap you may as well go home. Oculus desperately need game devs to support there device or the best hardware will see very few sales. ( Vive is in a similar boat but has Valve on there side, Steam is the biggest store for games sales and VIVE will pick up additional VR titles because of that alone)

Could the pixels be a performance issue? I have used both headsets on a 980ti and have not noticed the pixels. Settings pushed higher than the defaults that Oculus and VIVE both use for Elite: Dangerous. Project Cars seemed pretty good if a bit sketchy performance wise.

Vive is better in a big space, Oculus is better in a sit down enviroment with limited space. Niether device has a must play game as of yet and its held back sales. That + crazy pricing is not helping VR take off as was expected.

Oculus are trying to Buy exclusives, Valve will surely make one.

11. Stanley Tweedle

Project Cars is selling VR and VR is selling Project Cars.
    Elite Dangerous.
    Assetto Corsa.
    Eve Valkyrie.

When we have Fallout 4 then we still won't see everyone rush out an buy CV1 or Vive due to cost of hardware.

But let's not call the prices crazy. Those 4k monitors hit the market at $2000 and no one said that was crazy. HMD VR is a whole lot more expensive to make than a 4k monitor. CV1 and Vive and the lowest priced most advanced consumer VR in the history of VR. Are they priced within reach of most gamers? No. That will come.

Vive is no different to Oculus for seated VR. I used Octopus for a year and liked it a lot. I now use Vive for seated and standing. There is nothing about CV1 that makes it better for seated.

All gen 1 consumer VR has visible pixels and they will be visible in gen 2 and gen 3 also.

Agree about eco system. That's what concerns me about Razer. Remember their brainwave jaw input device? No ecosystem. Remember the Razer hydra? Good hardware now used in science but crap ecosystem meant it was doomed for intended market.

Oculus and Palmey built an amazing ecosystem before making some questionable choices and about-turns.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The rift is by far the better headset for seated, better sweet spot, less cabling, top quality inbuilt headphones and much more comfortable.

For room scale, needless to say the vive wins.

I'm not a fan of exclusives they haven't specifically developed and I'd like to see that stamped out ASAP, but I'm also not going to cry about it because I'm a well adjusted, well travelled individual who has seen what real hardship is.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not a performance issue its a resolution issue: the fine lines between the pixels were visible but the game world was typically 'soft' so it was an unsettling experience for several minutes until you focus 'through' it. The demo was setup by Nvidia to showcase their 1080 graphics so I trust their competence. Performance was very smooth. I didn't have that with the Oc unit, but I can't remember what version I used and it was much briefer. I'd have to go back and borrow one to retest.

I'd say after Sony's E3 press event, PSVR has must play VR titles coming. XWing and Resident Evil VII have people spanking themselves frothy. PS will win on ecosystem but it'll be a good thing if MS and Oc get together, especially since their push together for Xbox and Win 10 will see some games roll over to PC.

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jun 2016
  14. Stanley Tweedle

Built in headphones not an issue for me... What I use now is sennheiser game one with the Vive. I need the mic for Elite.

Less cables? Well Vive has one flat cable. It does have an audio jack so I could get the headphones through that one flat cable too. The one issue is that the Vive cable and headphone jack doesn't accommodate mic.

I'm a badly adjusted individual with only minimal but increasing hardship.

I'm sick of traveling 5.5 hours to York every few weeks.

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I don't think so, at least not yet. Oculus are pouring funding onto VR developers on PC right now. Xbox does not even have a release date, final hardware, etc for Project Scorpio, and unlike Sony have not committed to support VR on existing consoles (which may be a big detriment to update).