1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics RMA Returned No Fault Found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PauloWhysalli, 23 May 2012.

1. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

So I had a problem with my 6870 powercolor which meant that it defaulted to no display adaptor whenever I started Windows. I had reinstalled the drivers, the DVI cable was fine (worked through the motherboard) and the power supply is sufficient to run it, spec is as my sig. I even plugged in my old 4850 into the motherboard and it worked first time.

I RMA'd it to Ebuyer and they have just told me they are returning it with no fault found. I am sure when I receive it back the same problem will be occuring so am asking for any further suggestions as to what might be wrong with it??

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Have you tried a new windows install? Drastic, but it's the easiest way to be sure. Use something like EaseUS TODO backup to just completely image your C: drive, wipe it, then if the problem isn't solved; you can just whack the image back on there. Takes a while, but you don't loose anything in the long run if it doesn't work.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "defaulting to no display adaptor" ?

4. PauloWhysalli

Yep tried that first off all when I installed my new SSD.

I start up the computer, turn on the monitor, get the normal post beeps then the monitor goes into standby. Windows is still running however.

5. mrbungle

6. PauloWhysalli

7. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Do you have any display at all? e.g. the BIOS screen, or the Windows loading screen?

8. PauloWhysalli

Nope no display at all neither BIOS or Windows loading screen. This is an intermittent problem as I can start the PC and occassionaly it will work.

9. mrbungle

Will require a call to ms at worst to say mobo died and was changed.

10. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Not getting even the BIOS screen rules out Windows or drivers completely as an issue. It sounds very much like a faulty card, especially if it used to work without any problems. Perhaps when Ebuyer tested it it was intermittently working?

My GTX 460 had what sounds like a similar problem. Occasionally it would give me no display at all, but Windows would load normally. I didn't want to RMA it to Scan because it was so intermittent and I didn't want to pay a return+testing fee. In the end the problem became permanent.

11. mrbungle

The card is likely fine there are many cases of that series of card not working in that motherboard if you look around.

12. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I have a similar problem with my system. But both the GFX card and Motherboard are different to yours.

Gigabyte IP-35 motherboard and a GTX 550 Ti, although it did the same with my old X800 card.

The PC will boot up, it shows the Bios and post screen, then the monitor will go into power saving mode. However if I turn on my TV which is plugged in to the VGA port (monitor is using the DVI) it shows the windows login screen. I can then login, right click to go to Screen Resolution and hit Detect and it then the monitor comes back into life as the main screen. It works fine then until it's rebooted when it may (it's not 100% of the time) does it again.

Very strange issue, but as I'm hoping to replace my motherboard, cpu and PSU soon I'm just living with it so far.

13. PauloWhysalli

Yep found a few instances of this, bit of a pain but may try to find myself a new board. I'm assuming its worth avoiding the gigabyte boards as it seems to be a problem with the board in general?

Haven't tried running a different monitor at the same time but it would be a hassle, will just go with changing the MOBO for now I think. Have been scanning the internet for a cure but there doesn't seem to be one :eyebrow:

14. mrbungle

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

RAM sounds like its in the wrong slots

16. PauloWhysalli

I've not moved the RAM so I'm not sure this is the problem??

Was looking at one of those anyway, how about a ASUS P5Q PRO LGA 775 Intel Motherboard ? Might be able to pick one up cheapish (under £40)

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q_PRO/

17. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

If the card was working previously with the motherboard, and this problem has developed since, it's more likely that the card is at fault. If you could test it on another system that would be ideal.

18. mrbungle

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Have you updated the bios on the board? It's likely the board is kicking up a stink as it thinks that gfx card doesn't exist. Educate it with the latest bios and you should be fine.

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I had one of those mobo's for year's really good boards never had a day's problem with it and it's still going strong in it's new home.