1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Rubik's Cube Case Planning *Design*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mr. Beta, 14 Apr 2009.

1. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Anyone remember that toy? I loved it as a kid though I could never solve it.
    Years down the road, I randomly get the urge to buy one at 3am so I go to the beloved Walmart and buy one. Needless to say I spent the whole night trying to figure it out and 8 hours later it was solved. I became hooked.

So Now I "need" a new computer and I'm leaning towards an HTPC. I get this idea to make a Rubik's Cube case out of colored acrylic and that brings me to right now. I'm in the planning stages and as far as my searches have shown me, I see nothing like it. (I was looking for ideas to steal.)
    A few minutes in sketchup have given me this. It's very rough but I need criticism. Tips/tricks/shortcuts are always accepted.
    A few pics.
    [​IMG]
    I'm looking for a local acrylic supplier as the shipping rates are painful to look at. This specific render is a 9"x 9" cube and an ITX mobo is shown. I'm playing with the idea of a micro atx but don't really want that 12" cube.
    [​IMG]
    As soon as I get some more planning under my belt, I'll probably knock out a cardboard model to see how tight I can cram things in there. Ideally, (and probably not feasibly), I'd like to engineer a way for the top one or two layers to swivel/pivot horizontally like a rubik's cube does.
    [​IMG]
    If anybody knows of a link or a project that is similar, please link it. I haven't seen anything similar.
    I look forward to input.:D

2. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Over 100 views and no input?
    Wow...

Regardless, I'm looking into local sources for acrylic sheeting due to immense shipping costs for the stuff.
    Back to work I go...

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Send a PM to Cheapskate. He live is TX. too.
    I watch

john

4. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

will watch this one closely. had an idea very similar. i also wanted it to light up and solve itself. :thumb:

edit: put in some leds in every single square. around 335 or so i think. then have a programmer program it where it could solve itself in the background.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2009
  5. jhanlon303

Didn't we have project log where someone made a similar looking case out of metal? I remember that the layers rotated. Wasn't that ;long ago. I R Senile(TM).

john

6. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

yes, but not sure what it was made of, but do remember it rotating. thought it was pretty neat.

7. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Not sure. I'm back from a 3 year Bit-Tech vacation so I'm kinda new around these parts.

I've been slowly looking through all of the "cube" builds. Only about 40 pages of stuff.

@ Man1c
    You mean a clear cube with LEDs that change colors to "solve itself?"
    I'm hoping to actually be able to make at least one horizontal axis rotate.
    Might just jettison that idea for simplicity. Wires and cords don't like to be twisted.

8. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I understand you want to use colored acrylic for the build. What about the possibility of using plain white for the structure and then vinyl in the appropriate color for each side of the cube? That would mimic the real puzzle and look more authentic I think.

Also, this company is in Texas. I've ordered from them before and would do so again: https://www.estreetplastics.com/

Last edited: 16 Apr 2009
  9. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

yup. had a similar idea from what youre doing now, but havent modded anything yet. theres that new rubiks toy out thats touch sensitive. it would have looked similar to it.

10. jhanlon303

The Rubik's cube I have been working on and off for 10 years is just white plastic with stickers in other colors. I think Scirocco's idea might work well if you used the transparent colored vinyl film like the model airplanes.

john

11. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

The push button one? I've seen it but never played with it.
    I still prefer the original. I've logged an embarrassing number of hours on that thing.

*ETA
    I never thought of using stickers on the cube. I could airbrush some wear and tear on it and peel up the corners.

12. jhanlon303

An original one. I have a friend solves one in like 10 minutes. He really chaps my hide.

john

13. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

14. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

I got to where I could solve it in about 60 seconds but I never really got better. I didn't feel like memorizing algorithms and patterns. Record right now is 11 seconds or something crazy like that.

*ETA
    That is awesome. I'm a sucker for pointless stuff like that. I'd love to have one to play with but it'd be worthless for speed solving (I can't do that anyway)

15. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Several years ago I came up with the idea of building a cube computer and mounting it on its corner like the Astor Cube in NYC.

[​IMG]

During my research I came across the story of a very funny prank that was pulled on the people of Manhattan using the cube.

http://www.alltooflat.com/pranks/cube/

[​IMG]

IMO a Rubik's Cube computer mounted like that would be the best way to display it.

Extra points given if you use a rotary connector and spin it around while it's running. lol

16. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Yeah, I saw that prank and loved it. That is a pretty neat way of mounting it though...
    Wonder what I could do with all of those points that slipperyskip would give me??

17. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

18. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

yes, just bout positive that was it. also to make it stand like the picture posted make a stand for it where it will sit in.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I see someone posted Hotton's build.:thumb: -That saves me from using the search.
    :lol: So now people PM me to visit their threads? I am here WAY too much.
    I would skip the vinyl and go straight for the tinted plexiglas. You should also go with a glued plexi frame like I used in the Hypnotoad rebuild. F*ck aluminum. I may never buy it again.
    Also you should build it so the 3 swiveling bits can be taken apart. Then you won't need access panels.:D -Have you ever made a model tank? Something like the retaining system for the turrets would work perfectly.
    SU in a bit...On the wrong pooter.
    Delvies' Plastics is your best bet. You will have to waste cash on shipping like the rest of us. Keep the materials you need under 2'x4' and shipping won't hurt as much.

20. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Just took a look at Hotton's build and it's phenomenal. Basically what I'm trying to do but using plexi. I'm trying to steer away from aluminum but I do have some angle lying around if necessary. I've looked at many alternate methods to the aluminum and have found many that yield better results with less ugly.
    I've found a few local suppliers and they have what I'm looking for as far as the plexi. Gonna compare prices and quality and choose the best compromise.
    For now, I'm going to stick with solid plexi, decals don't do it for me but it's a novel idea. I'll just router or bevel the edges with my tablesaw and polish it up all sorts of pretty.

Thanks everyone for tips and links and hopefully soon I'll be able to sit down at my computer and SU or even take out my T-square and scratch out some more ideas.
    @Cheapskate
    Jhanlon made me do it. I would have never knocked at your door if it wasn't for him. :D
    Also I'd be interested in that model tank retaining system that you mentioned.