1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: KindlePhone in 2012?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 18 Nov 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I have got a kindle phone, its an android phone with kindle app installed. The software is brilliant, access to my library and syncs over mobile broadband. on a phone. seems a bit redunant to me particularly since if it is like the Fire tab it is android too but without android market, crazy!

3. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

...Kindle Phone? Really?

Somehow, I can't see a device that began life as an e-book reader and moved on to being a multimedia tablet breaking in to the phone market. If it's just going to be a variation on Android, why not just buy an Android?

As the above poster said, there's already a Kindle application on Android. Can't help but feel like this'll be completely redundant and flop.

4. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

This is why amazon shouldn't have used the kindle name for the kindlefire.
    There's no reason amazon can't produce a tablets or phones however they'll be using a backlit screen so therefore are in no way a reading device and shouldbe treated as such.

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

*sigh* every time I see news about colour Kindles I worry a little. Surely the appeal of a Kindle is that it isn't an eye straining back lit screen or is that just me being stupid?

Why go and dilute the brand by sticking the name on everything?

The kindle fire I can just about handle, even if it is a back lit IPS screen, but the unless the phone is a crazy e-ink wonder then I just don't want to know.

Grimloon likes this.
  6. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Can see this as a natural step tbh. Probably something with a larger screen, 4.65inch maybe? Running Android. Kindle has become quite a well known brand, but they'll have to make sure people know that it runs Android Apps and isn't just for reading books. Some Apple style ads would do well to convey that and lets be honest any competition to Apple in the Smartphone market is good competition :)

7. carajp

carajp What's a Dremel?

What on earth is the point? I don't get this as an idea at all. An Amazon tablet makes sense as a consumption tablet - everyone associates Amazon with books and DVDs etc. But an Amazon phone? Why??

I'd rather they just got on and thought about other countries maybe wanting some of the stuff they already do - like the Fire and the Kindle Touch. Pent up market right there.. and no risk even.

8. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

I think this is an example of a gadget that very few of the folk on bit-tech will care about, but which might actually do rather well. Kindle is a very strong brand - depending on whether the Fire takes off I can see this becoming quite popular with non-techies.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

kindle fire has no EU launch date and is unlikely to get one as they cant even deliver enough for the US market which makes me think that we wont ever see it this side of the pond

its a great device sure but when will us UK foke get to see it 10 years time?

it does not run all andriod apps to person above it runs a limited selection of them that amazon controls

so for amazon phone great for USA fokes but us none USA fokes wont ever see it so it goes under MEH same as COD review lol

10. Neophyte4Life

Neophyte4Life What's a Dremel?

11. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

What's the betting that Apple tried to sue them for some reason?
    I'm guessing pretty high..... It's what Apple do.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

^Emphatically this! Give me a largish phone with an e-ink screen and optional side light for when I need to use it in the dark as anything and I'm in. No colour, no backlight (no touch screen for me either but I realise that others like this idea) and it sounds like a plan.

Look at it this way - how much do you actually need colour on a phone? Not much really, we survived a very long time without and it isn't essential now. My first mobile phone was an LCD screen with 3 lines of text! It did the job, lasted for years and I was sad to lose it. An e-ink screen is a significant power saver, it shows what you need to see with near perfect clarity if there's a light source and is minimally affected by glare - something that can't be said for most mobile phone screens.

13. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

The first iteration of the Fire sounds pretty good for a device rushed out for Xmas so I'm looking forward to the next version and if they can do a similar, cheap phone then I'd certainly be interested. If they bundle them with a Prime deal like the US have, they'll sell really well.

14. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

Or have a dual screen phone.

Front IPS

Back with e-ink.

Simples.

15. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 What's a Dremel?

Loving the display picture.. Red dwarf!

----------------------------
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo | Logitech G510 gaming keyboard | Logitech G700 gaming mouse | Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition mousepad

16. Xir

Xir Modder

would be something like a Samsung note, no?
    A tablet/phone hybrid.
    (apart from that beeing available now)

17. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

It should run any android App, all you need to do is side load it from the SD card. Also Amazon does not control the apps in their market. The limited selection they have is still quite large and are apps that they know work on their device. All they are doing is bringing a little of the Apple marketplace ethos to the android market place.

The reason we do not have the Kindle Fire in the UK is not down to stock issues. The Kindle fire requires the Amazon Market place to function fully. Something that has not yet been launched over here.
    Once they pull their finger out and launch the App store in the UK then they can launch the Kindle Fire.

I really like Amazons e-book and Audio book offerings, they just need to start leveling the playing field between the US and UK, as we miss out on a lot of what the Americans get, mainly due to licencing issues I believe.

18. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

A kindle phone is surely a contradiction.

19. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I love new gadgets, the missus came into my garden shed moaning "I'm sick of you wasting your time in here with all of your inventions, none of them ****ing work anyway" It was at that point that the "SLAP-A-CUNTOMATIC 3000 proved her wrong!

Tags: Add Tags