1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5TB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 5 Oct 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. iggy

iggy Minimodder

i think you have missed the point of these drives entirely. they arent for running crysis from, or as an os partition. they are purpose designed to be low power, quiet, mass storage drives. and as such they perform admirably.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

A good drive should do it all Iggy - why should we have to settle for a turd slow drive just because it's quiet and cheap? Should we let a product off the hook for performing poorly just because it's "targetted" differently. It doesn't say anywhere on Samsung's website "this drive not for O/S use." does it?

In fact, in the closing paragraph, I specifically state this drive is perfect for a NAS box or home server, where capacity, price, low noise and low heat are all much more important factors. In fact I liked this drive's attributes in these categories so much, My home NAS now uses two of them.

But sadly we're not called "NAS-tech.net" or "Bulk-Media-Storage PC." It's our job to test and see where these drives perform in comparison to each other. If this drive had managed to be both very quiet and very fast, as the original Samsung Spinpoint F1 was, it would have scored higher. As it's slow, but very good value and well behaved thermally and acoutically, it still scored well, but doesn't deserve and all-round recommendation.

5. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Excellent review, and clear, consise analysis of it's performance and place within the market.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We've measured power usage before with HDDs and the difference between a 7,200 and 5,400RPM drive is generally around 3watts at best. Seriously, it's minimal, and actually within the margin of error of our power consumption measuring gear. Just because the stick "EcoGreen" on the box doesn't make it best friends with the environment, its a marketing spin to counteract the poor performance.

Just for reference, the power saving works out at roughly (if 1KW/h = 15p) 1p/day based on continuous usage with the drive at full speed. If you;re using this drive as we, and many of you would suggest as a bulk storage, this saving drops substantially as for the most part it's sat there as bulk storage.

7. j4ck3l

j4ck3l What's a Dremel?

any chance of reviewing the samsung f3 Baz>?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Give the man a chance! It's in the labs and on the to do list :p

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Aria has a few of these F2's in at just £63.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/newsletter?productId=37094

Looking forward to the F3 review.
    In the comments for Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Review you said you were reviewing the F3 1.5TB some time this week. Was that a typo? Or is it just the 1TB drive cos I'd love to get a 1.5TB but haven't seen any release info on that size yet.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

F2 1.5TB, F3 1TB afaik.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

This was a good review. However, it is rather late and is not the one we are all wanting now so it's a bit of a disappoinment. We want the details on the F3 and this could have been included along with that. I know the review is on its way, it just feels like this site is ticking boxes and tagging along where other sites have already been. By the time the F3 is reviewed here it will be old news.

Sorry for the criticism but it is my opinion of this site.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

True, but device taking 6W vs 9W at seek is pretty significant difference. Not with one drive. But put 5 of them in setup where are they intended (data storage), and you get 15W difference. Maybe not enough for you, but considering my file server with 4 pieces of WD10EADS + X2 4850e + M3N78 takes around 45W at idle makes from those marginal 3W x 5 drives = 15W a pretty big difference.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

15w even assuming it is constantly saving that (its not) is 15wh or 0.015 kwh that is 0.015 of about 15p per kwh. So with that running 24/7 you would save almost £20 per year, if that is significant then you should probably consider buying one less drive of larger capacity. Also worth noting that 3w of heat could be dissipated by a small heat sink that one would strap to a lm317 type component.

You could probably save the same amount by turning off your file server for an hour a day tbh.

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Samsung F3 review coming later this week!

16. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Just a little FYI, power consumption means absolutely nothing to the whole "green" movement when it comes to storage drives. If you really want to affect the environment for the better, do some research on the manufacturing companies and see who has the better materials disposal and recycling policies. You will make an infinitely greater difference by purchasing drives from manufacturers that are environmentally responsible than you would trying to find the drive that uses the least about of power because power consumption from drives is so minimal.

Guest-16 likes this.
  17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

+ rep :thumb:

18. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

F2 Pah.

F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3, F3.

Pull your thumbs out of your bums and review the F3!

Last edited: 5 Oct 2009
  19. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

20. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine Snacker

Again, it would be nice to see the power usage on these drives.

Important factor in a "green" disk, no?

Tags: Add Tags