1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Scan and bit-tech team up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Apr 2010.

1. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

This rocks, free delivery woo! thanks bit tech

2. Paddy

Paddy What's a Dremel?

Looks like I should start posting in the forum a bit more often now! I do buy a fair bit from Scan already and over time this will save a lot of money.

3. mr_ace

mr_ace What's a Dremel?

pffffffff mainland UK only... NORTHERN IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK BOOOOOOOOOOOO

4. battles_atlas

battles_atlas What's a Dremel?

Why be cynical indeed. Its not like most professions that take themselves seriously have very strict rules about conflicts of interest. What possible conflict of interest could emerge from a mag that reviews hardware teaming up with a shop that stocks hardware? Why should other hardware companies entering the Dream PC competition have any fears that one other entrant is the judge's "Preferred Partner"?

The above paragraph utilises a sarcasm programme to convey meta-data.

I'm pretty gobsmacked that only one other post thinks this is crossing a line. I'd rather pay my own postage and have a magazine with opinions I felt I could trust.

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

woot!

thank you bit-tech

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Oh, you flatterer, you :blush:
    bit-tech is, at the end of the day, a business so, yes, they probably are getting some revenue out of it - as will Scan. That's business.

What's more important, of course, is that we get free delivery whenever we order from Scan. What more do you want? :p

7. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Woot thanks very much!! :)

Now if you can just do a delivery deal with Aria, Ebuyer & Overclockers.co.uk hehe :)

8. mull

mull What's a Dremel?

Schweet. Itching to buy an SSD from them...

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, because all the other sites which don't have a partnership with a retailer are completely trustworthy, and sly underhanded deals by manufacturers and retailers to get good reviews/exposure are completely unheard of in the world of journalism :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Don't be so naive, this is no different to Scan having a banner advert on the site or a page in the magazine (which they do, on the back page of every mag), just in this case they get a link to their site with every product review (I assume that's how it works anyway), where before it would often link to competitors' sites. At the end of the day, if you didn't trust the opinions of the writers in the first place why would you even read the site or buy the magazine?

10. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Just in time for my new pc build.
    Next day delivery free, woot scan Cheesecake imo rofl, pretty 1337

11. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

In terms of the business angle, just to clear it up:

1. Yes, this is a commercial deal between ourselves and Scan. Our content isn't free - we just don't charge you, the readers, to read it. It's funded by adverts and commercial deals such as this one.

2. The deal really is just as described in the news story. Scan gets a forum on bit-tech, offers our readers free postage and we place a text link to their site's price for a product at the top of the review.

3. The editorial team were part of the process of putting together this partnership - we get a lot of offers from a lot of retailers, and this was one we were happy with in terms of what it offered readers, and the company providing it. As I said in the news post, we do pretty much all order from Scan and I advise my family and friends to buy stuff from them, and Scan came out top in the reader survey.

12. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

wow, did you seriously go this far?!
    Chill out, it's just partnership so that both parties benefit from it.
    It's not like Scan is a hardware manufacturer and the reviews will be subjective in their favor. You should've red better.

Some people like to make a problem of evrything these days!

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im not that old :p

14. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Anyone want to give me odds on who will win "best retailer" in the next Custom PC awards?

15. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Yeah me too! :D

16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Europe postage please

17. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

A while ago I could swear that Custom PC were sponsored by ASUS as they always got the recommended buy stamp in reviews, they just produced boards that overclocked significantly higher than the others reviewed by Custom PC

18. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

I sort of remember that the Scan forums on the CPC / Old Dennis (the ones infested with complete twats like Marklar77 and Macfeasto and other deranged Apple loons) was being trolled by an idiot called PG2114 and a few others and it seemed in the end, the Scan boys just lost patience with it all and called PUFO.

19. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Unless you have tie up with business you won't go anywhere, just ask any politician.

20. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I always shop around to find the best price. Recentlybuilt a computer for my brother, comprising core i7 920, hd4870 etc, and Scan were the cheapest on just about everything I specced. Only things I got somewhere else were the case (Lancool k7, only found one place stocking it), and Monitor (Play had a rediculous deal on a 27" NEC).

Free delivery just makes things better!

Tags: Add Tags