1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Scientists create nanodot SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

4*4 cm = 512 gb .. I would be able to store my entire households data on the space of 1 single 3.5" HDD...

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The capacity sounds impressive, but I'd want to see the read/write speeds before throwing one into my machine. Still, SSD is definitely the way forward. I have two now and wouldn't want to go back to running Windows from a mechanical drive.

Also, Narayan is pretty basass.

4. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

this probably wont be ussed as a boot drive at least not at first it will probably be for a data drive

for example at min my c drive has over 200gb data on it and data has nearly 1tb so current ssd's are not worth it to me so ill be waiting for these

5. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Right now it's just a storage medium without read/write mechanism.

I'd sooner count on PCM or such blazing past Flash. It is already in the process of replacing NOR Flash at this point.

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Thats why you strip windows down to fit on a small SSD, and put the rest and install the rest on another drive. My C: drive is currently about 29gb and its hardly stripped down what so ever.

7. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Great news, but then in 5 years time there'll be something else even better promised "within a few years" and so on... :D

8. alick

alick What's a Dremel?

is 4 square centameters not 2 cm x 2 cm

9. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Sorry, but that's 16 square cm :p

Yeah, would have a few terabytes in the sice of a HDD and several times the speed.

Hope the prices relate to the cost and not to a demand of making a profit 20 times the cost.

10. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Yup and I hope so, if not faster! The only downside is if you want to buy every newest thing then you're gonna spend a lot of cash. I'm all for anything that pushes the envelope faster and further :)

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

another promising tech but will see if it delivers or just fades like the others. ><

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Let's hope they're more suitable than current SSD's for long term storage.

13. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

any word on performance? The storage capacity sounds tasty though, so if the performance isn't all the way up there this will still replace HDDs.

Nice to keep an eye on, but like any tech: see first believe later :D

14. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Performance will depends on what read/write method they will invent for it.

15. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

The benefit is cheap drives with no moving parts which goes on to benefit the entire system. Read/Write speads are irrelivant at this time since it has to be proven to work at any level. look at SSD's now, the variation of read/write speeds just between manufacturers and the software used isn't standard in any way. You could pick up a SSD and think a HDD has nothing on it but then tests with F3 Spinpoints are pretty damn close if not better than some SSD's being sold today.

5 years is not a long time in this industry and I can see this being developed sooner rather than later.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I heard about this on the latest Skeptic's Guide to the Universe podcast. From the discussions on the show, this technology does have one very very large hurdle that needs to be overcome. At this stage, they still do not know how to interface with the nanodots in order to actually read/write data. Before we start talking about performance numbers, I think I'd like to see that resolved ;)

Although it does offer the highest storage density per square inch - traditional hard drives do not even come close.

Afraid I have no links other than the podcast and the NCSU site (http://news.ncsu.edu/releases/wmsnarayannanodots/); can't get hold of the actual paper...

EDIT: Damnit, someone beat me to it! :)

17. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Would want to know speed and prices!

Tags: Add Tags