1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Silk Road suspect arrested by FBI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 2 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

3. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Dam, where am I going to get my gear at now? : P

4. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

When I 1st read this I tought it was SilkRoad (the game). :p

5. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i thought it was a term for a real thoroughfare when drugs go through like a route from agentina > the states. the gravy road ;D

6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Isn't this a Isohunt-type situation though?

The owner merely runs the site - what the users do with it is their business?

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well it wouldn't be the first time someone was arrested for running a web site

8. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

So much for .onion being anonymous with no ip so it can't be traced.

How do Tor project feel about the fbi making it look like it doesn't even work.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

He took sales commission, so he is properly ****ed

10. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

He wasn't discovered due to his activities on the Tor network, but for what he was doing off there. There were a couple of posts on a pot forum, a request for php help connecting with Tor on Stack Overflow using his own name and then promptly changed to 'frosty' which later proved to link to code used on his site.
    There was also something about buying a ton of fake IDs and having them delivered to his own address. None of this was directly discovered through Tor, but by mistakes made outside of it which could link with stuff inside it.

I've no sympathy for him, but what with the conclusion of the Breaking Bad series, its quite easy to see some sort of similarity there. Illegal activity, more money than he could ever need which he cant really spend, threats of violence, and probably led a normal legit life until then.

This is a decent article on how he was caught, if anyones interested: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...wnfall-of-an-underground-bitcoin-drug-market/

The strange thing is, i think that with a high profile case like this, and the fact that the Tor network seems like it actually did everything its meant to do, they could actually be promoting it and making people aware of its existence. The Napster & MegaUpload (?) of its kind, where replacements follow and everyone who used those just swap to the next best, meanwhile people find out about them closing and what they offered, and think they'll check out alternatives.

I've never used it personally, but I find it quite interesting and a little bit scary at the same time.

11. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

An intersting read makes you realise how careful you would have to be every single thing you type online could be a potential tip off.

It doesn't say how they got hold of one of silkroads servers to examine it.

12. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Presuming you have something to hide ;)

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The only bit that interests me is how they found his servers... there's speculation the FBI hacked his servers and installed/added something to phone-home the non-tor IP.

Tags: Add Tags