1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Silverstone SG05

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 1 May 2009.

1. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Have one these with a MSI IM-Q35. I found that it was not much of a challenge getting a 4850 in the case. Biggest issue I found was the selection of CPU coolers that would fit in 78mm. I ended up using a Zalman 8700 it was a squeeze but it does fit. Specs MSI IM-Q35 Ati 4850 Intel quad Q9400 4gb ram. Cooling is great for the size of case. Comment on water cooling you could get a 120mm with some work but you would lose the 3.5" drive bay using the stock lay out

2. ichobi

ichobi What's a Dremel?

I've been looking for a case like this for a long time. (Small and with good heat performance).
    I wonder though if I go with Zotac M/B, what would be the best possible GFX card I could fit in to this little thing? seems like all the new card on the block are very long and big. I have a small room but would love to play high end PC games. This might just be a godsend!

3. dangman4ever

dangman4ever What's a Dremel?

Any chance of you guys testing the PSU?

The reported ripple levels on the +12V rails and the non +12V rails are at 140mV and 70mV respectively. That exceeds the maximum recommended ripple as set forth by the ATX12V 2.2 specifications of 120mV and 50mV on the +12V rail and non +12V rails respectively IIRC. So does this mean that I should avoid using that FSP PSU since the ripple is out of spec?

4. Praxis1452

Praxis1452 What's a Dremel?

I have to second that. Would it be possible for you guys to test the PSU, at it is part of the included case and SFX power supplies are hard to find especially ones of that size. Ex. Seasonic eco 300W is 16mm thicker. Seasonic 350/300W SFX PS's are way deeper.

It's out of ATX spec and decently far out at that. Would be interesting to see, and noone else seems to have noticed.

Anyway, it'd be really useful info. Pls DO eeet.

edit: btw the lian li pc-7 has horrible cooling. I mean you don't have a 120mm intake and a full size PSU is alright, but really it makes the case a looot bigger. Also, Graphics cards would be mounted at the bottom with no air intake unlike the SG05 where you have it laying on its side and a side vent. This allows for fresh air to be drawn into the graphics card. Also allows for dual slot cooler. Basically the SG05 is a performance case in a tiny package unlike the Q07 which tries to be easier to fit. The ATX PSU would suggest higher wattage components than the silverstone but really without adequate cooling it's worthless anyway.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've no plans to test the PSU sorry. Nowhere in the UK has a facility to do ripple testing as far as I'm aware either.

That said, we ran a machine with high end GPU, E5200 and pretty hardcore mini-ITX board for a whole day Prime95ing and 3DMark loop without an issue.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Additionally, Silverstone sent us a comment in regards to your comments on the PSU

and additionally, in regards to Ripple Noise, Silverstone have told us that the PSU's ripple noise is only a little higher than the recommendation from Intel, and this is only when the PSU is under imbalanced load. As we found in our testing, under normal system load you'll never notice it.

Last edited: 14 May 2009
  7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That's a neat little case.

Reminds me of a TWT amp, a bit.

8. maxbear

maxbear What's a Dremel?

i got pc-q07. if you want to install a video card, you need to move your harddisk from the bottom to the top, otherwise, your harddisk temp will get really high(mine goes up to 65C). even if i move the harddisk to the top, the temp is not good too, it might reach up to 55C. It's better to put a harddisk fan there.

I think the cooling of pc-q07 is not too good, or I can say it's bad. no intake fan, your cpu heat can't go out (may be through psu fan). all heat air just stick inside the case. if you really want to get this case, make sure your psu running cool, otherwise, it will increase the temp a lot. I tested 3 psu already.

9. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

I'm considering a mini-ITX build for my next PC, and this is a case that interests me.

For any owners out there who have this case, I'm actually thinking of adding an exhaust fan for some extra cooling to the side panel where the PCI slots are located, and mounting it to the air vent holes with cable ties.

From the pics, it looks like a 80mm fan should be no problem, but what about a 92mm or 100m fan?

10. LethPhaos

LethPhaos What's a Dremel?

I realise this case is already rather full when a default setup is installed in it, but I noticed on the pictures that there is a little space left under the hard disk tray.
    [​IMG]

Would I be able to construct a bigger bay with some sheet metal so I can mount 1 or 2 extra drives? Or is that definitely impossible?

EDIT: According to their website it is possible to mount a 2.5" drive above the 3.5" bay, so that's nice for starters. I'm still interested to know if there's room to cram 1-2 additional 3.5" drives in though...

Last edited: 19 Aug 2009
  11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

By what I've read about this case in particular and other SFF cases the main problem is heat. In the picture you see that another HDD under the first one would basically block all airflow over the ram or at least limit it severely.

If the CPU fan sucks air in it might be okay but if it blows air out it'd definitely kill airflow.

I'll gladly stand corrected if anyone can prove me wrong.

12. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Hey if you are going to Taiwan you should pick up a Core i5 and several P55 mobos. I bet you would be the first to review them in their retail form!

13. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I've just won the bit-tech comp from last month which contains this case, the Zotac Motherboard and a Zotac GTS250 and a Siberia v2 headset.

So i'm planning to use it and build a little lan rig, however i am concerned about heat and what processor and cooler is best suited for the case?
    I have been offered a Q9450 at a good price so wanted to know if anyone has a quad core in one of these cases and how they cool it and what the temps are like?
    Or do I go for a dual core with a higher clock speed that produces less heat?

Will rep for help :p

Cheers Hg

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Congrats Merc!

Q9450 is a good chip. Sure, a dual core will be cooler but a quad is only 95W at stock speed and will keep you going for a while. The GTS 250 will probably be hotter tbh.

15. Hg

Hg The game known as life

16. REDDEVIL-UK1

REDDEVIL-UK1 MUFC

i won this in a bit-tech.net comp too. have you used the onboard vga yet?? i have and i was shocked at how hot the vga cable was!!!!!! has anyone else come across this i don't know if it's just me or not :/

Tags: Add Tags