1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlaterSpeeds 'Liquified' - Update 09/08/04 - Stage2 Started!! (Painting)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slater, 9 Feb 2004.

1. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

SlaterSpeeds 'Liquified' - Update 29/01/05 - I finaly made something!! (nb block)

-----Go HERE To see stage 1 complete pics-----

Work recommecing NOW!​

Hi and welcome to my latest project 'Liquified'.

Now im not too sure how much 'case' modding will be invloved quite yet as this is more of a exercise in watercooling design but none the less it should be a good read eaven for people who dont know the first thing about w/cing. :thumb:

But n/m that lets crack on with the pics!

The Case: Yes its a boring ol cheiftec :yawn: but im not that interested in the case its the stuff thats going in it that matters to me.

[​IMG]

The cooling system: Im going for a dual loop setup here - 2 heatercores, 2 pumps, one res and about 6-8 blocks in total:) (i havent quite dicided wether to w/c the southbridge yet :cooldude: )

The Cores: (From a Vauxhall Astra.) Ive only have the one so far. (shown with 120mm fan (not one i will be using))
    [​IMG]

The Pump: Eheim 1250. Im not sure if im going to stick with this pump because its just too big and i need to fit 2 in there somewhere. maybe i will swap it for a smaller one later on.
    [​IMG]

Otherstuff: Green cathodes/fans mmmm.
    [​IMG]

Progress so far:

Mocked up single shroud and res out of cardboard
    Removed bottom hdd cage
    Removed inlet/outlet pipes on h.core
    Still trying to source parts/meterials

[​IMG]

Hopefuly il take some pics of the attual modding by the end of the day so stay tuned for an early update

SlaterSpeed:cooldude:

Thanks to Ben for pic hosting :clap:

Last edited: 30 Jan 2005
  2. DreamModder!

DreamModder! What's a Dremel?

I think Its looking good and will be waiting for the final result.

keep it up good work! :rock:

3. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Is the core from the Astra 7.5" x 7"? Just wondering if so then its same size as the one I'm using (from a Corsa), if so could you do me a favour & just see if it will fit flush against the front of the case (not too wide), would be a great help cheers :thumb:

But 2 of those :jawdrop: Should become SERIOUSLY cool there!! :brrr:

Top stuff! :clap:

4. slater

Sure thing paul :D

The fins on the core mesure 190mm buy 180mm so that sounds like the same one.

It will fit flush against the front of the case as the distance from side panel - side panel is 200mm. All you would have to do is cut a chunk out of the mobo tray to get it in there but that no problem unless you have a super huge server mobo.

The only other problem is that the inlet/outlet come out of the top so you would either have to remove both hdd carriers or (as im doing) move the inlet/outlet onto the side of the core tank. Also if you want to retain the top hdd bay you will need to remove a bit from the bottom front corners of the case but that should not effect anything to major and owuld not be visible with the case side on.

5. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info, Muchly apreciated! :thumb:

The boards a DFI LanParty one, so nothing too big! Was wanting to 'hide' the rad kind of, as its a bit dirty & not the easiest thing to clean! Not too bothered about cutting up the case, will keep me busy ;)

Still looks good so far, you going to be making a custom shroud or using some sort of tupperware? Maybe a bit of Carbon-Fibre may look quite tasty if your after the rad to be on show :cooldude: but I warn you now, its worse to work with than fibreglass!!

6. slater

Yeh im going to be making a shroud. Probably from sheet aluminium. Im planning to try and make it so that the 2 heatercores slide inside of a kind of box/shroud combination as oppose to just having a shroud that attachs to the core. That way it should hide most of the core.

Have you thought of painting yours? you can paint the tanks and side without doing much damage but you cant paint the finns. it makes tham look 10x nicer :naughty:

7. Zoomer

Zoomer What's a Dremel?

looking good although the shroud could be better coloured cant wait to see it in alu :D

8. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

I've toyed with the idea ;) Just unsure on what color to go for (have got some gold / copper sort of metal-paint), but will see what happens when I start!

9. slater

lol its pizza box coloured at the mo!

Keep me posted! :thumb:

10. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

That be a BIG core, red case wit the green glow should look nice.

11. slater

Heres a few more pics ive found

4" Green Cathodes positioned in the front. They look killer!!! :rock:
    [​IMG]

Heres a flow digram of the w/c setup.
    [​IMG]

Its pretty basic. im probably going to build up the cpu loop first and get the sytem up and running then build the other loop in my own time.

Ive brought some more copper for the blocks as ive more or less desided to build the whole lot myself. I thought about using a whitewater for the cpu but i cant relly justifiy paying £45 for a block when i can make one myself in a weekend. :dremel:

Last edited: 11 May 2004
  12. olv

olv he's so bright

It's looking very nice. glad to see your building your own blocks. i'll be starting on my own blocks in the forthcoming weeks. What type of design are you going for?

Just wondering why you are having your biggest pump in the one block looks and the weaker pump in the 3 block loop.

13. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

looks nice. just wondering are you planning to put lights in the feets of the case

14. slater

Good question. The main reson is money. The lower flow pumps cost less so i will probably end up using a lower flow one for the less important loop. I havent attualy got a 1048 yet so i may get a higher flow one if i can afford it.

This whole project is based around building a fully w/c pc but at the same time retaining optimal (or as close as) Cpu cooling. Thats why im using 2 loops. To start with im going to concentrate on the cpu loop and optimising that. Then il think about GPU,NB,GFXRAM,PSU,SB,MOSFETS etc.

The Cpu block will most likely be a micro channel design but im not sure about the rest yet.

Im not planning to use lighted case feet but maybe i will put a cathode underneath for a sort of underglow effect.

15. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Get some sunbeamtech lighted cheiftec feet for that baby.
    Wont diff size tubing bodge up the flow a bit around the loops/

Anyway nice project :thumb:

16. slater

Attualy the slightly larger tubing from res - pump will improve flowrates.

There should be as little restriction as possible on the suction side of the pump to improve both flowrate and to put less strain on the pump which would lead more heat being dumped into the water. (It should also prolong the life of a pump)

Thats why pumps normaly have a larger inlet than outlet.
    In the case of the Eheim 1250 a 1/2" outlet but bigger 5/8" inlet :thumb:

17. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

So you have a 1 in 2 out CPU block? If that's the case, are you going to have a splitter join the 2 outs and make them 1 tube, so that they go into the rad? If so...that means blockage. The 2 are going to be forcing water into the splitter. In theory, it might work b/c the 2 going out can only be as fast as the one going in (does that make sense?).

Can you post a diagram with arrows, just to clear things up?

18. slater

Yep cpu block will have one in 2 out but also the rad will have 2 inlets so no probs there. :)

Flow goes: res->pump->block->rad->res

Il change the pic so it shows flow direction. Dunno why i didnt think of that earlyer :blush:

19. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

cool work mate. I did nearly the same job, crazy with same case..

[​IMG]

20. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Heh, i wanna see you take that to a LAN