1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something to think about

Discussion in 'General' started by jcm44, 7 Jun 2004.

1. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

This is something that I just posted on my site. But I realize I am probably the only one that reads it, so I decided it is worth sharing.
    ------------------------------------

Finally I spent the better part of yesterday getting burned in the sun, but I did manage to watch a few shows about D-Day. As many of Americans don’t know, D-Day took place 60 years ago, yesterday. It is unfortunate that many Americans could probably not tell you the beach that so many Americans died on. It is unfortunate that many Americans could not name the man that was in charge of that invasion. And it is unfortunate that the sacrifice of so many can be so easily forgotten. But there are a few of us that remember. There are a few of us that realize 60 years ago, men my age were being shipped off to foreign countries to fight a foreign enemy. I have read a few books, watched a few movies and wonder how I would have reacted in those situations. Would I have been just another foot solider in a trench picked off by a German sniper? Would I have been a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne? Would I have been on Iwo Jima? Would I have been a mechanic on a battleship?

Many video games are making a lot of money on recreating WWII battles, but I wonder what the veterans who see these advertisements think. Is this what they fought for? Is this what their friends died for? The World Wars are something that leaves me in a bit of awe. I cannot imagine what those men saw, and what memories they carry with them on a day-to-day basis. I know my grandfather participated in the war, but he never speaks of it. I wish he would, so if anything, I could thank him.