1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: No PS3 price cut this Christmas

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Blood

Blood What's a Dremel?

I was holding out for a price cut. Looks like I definately wont be buying one this side of the year.
    Tekken 6 was the only game I was buying it for anyway, looks like ill be picking up a 30 quid ps2 and all the Tekken games to get me through the winter :)

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Why on earth would they confirm there's going to be a price cut in the next few months, and lose sales at the higher price?

That said, I would be quite willing to believe that there won't be one.

4. Enforcer

Enforcer What's a Dremel?

I like this quote

"Well the pressure comes from the consumers obviously and so therefore there's always pressure on price," admitted Macguire, "but you know we have a business to run, and we have to make sure we're doing the right thing for the shareholders as well

I think Sony forgot that we are the Shareholders , we make or break the market. I don't see this as being a good thing, it means that Wii and the 360 are gonna being selling alot more. Maybe one day Sony will figure out how the game really works.

5. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

...and then develop their own proprietary version of it...

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Every time Sony Flatly deny something, it happens.

I wonder what would happen if they said that "Time travel is definitely impossible". Some geezer would probably instantly pop out from the future, shouting "Sony LIES!"

7. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

screw time travel. 'Arkanrais will definitely not have his own harem by weeks end" is what I'm waiting for.

8. Florian

Florian Minimodder

The price difference isn't as significant in the US, with the 60GB Xbox 360 holiday bundle at $299 and the 80GB PS3 at $399, but as usual, Sony is really screwing Europe. Charging €399 for the PS3 while the 60GB 360 sells for €199 is just ridiculous.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I think they have already figured out how the game works, they sell as much PS3 hardware as MS does with 360 pretty much (when MS hasn't just had a price cut or big release) and at 2-3 times the price, why would you cut it? sales have hardly slowed down despite no real big exclusive releases?

At launch what was it 5-6 million 360s in the wild, whats the global difference now almost 2 years on 5-6 million? its having no more trouble selling than 360, the 360s new pricing will make it a difficult thing for Sony to win on numbers this Christmas though so I'd expect a new price or at least some good bundling to come out.

10. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Could the reason for not doing price cuts on the PS3 might be the160gb model that, according to some gaming sites / Amazon is being released in Europe soon?

11. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

ps3 going down, lol, seriously though, they need price cuts and more exclusives to turn it around.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

...even the Wii is more expensive than the (entry level) 360...how did that happen?

13. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I thought the 80 gig was $499 and the 40 gig was $399 for the PS3

14. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

...which contains a DRM rootkit...

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Exactly. Since the 360 price cut this year. PS3 sales has stayed the same. They have not dropped at all. 360 sales have gone up. In Europe they have now gone back down to being less than PS3 again while being more than £100 cheaper. In the US the 360 is still ahead of the PS3, but not by a whole lot. In Japan they are just about even with 360 slightly nudging ahead for now.

I say PS3 is doing just fine at a super high price with 'no games'.

As far as the gap between the two. WHen it was first released it was about 6M. That gap quickly grew to almost 10M because the sales of the PS3 were horrible. That gap has been reduced to 5.5M now.

16. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

In the US the 80GB is $399. The 80GB replaced the 40GB model, but the 40GB SKU prices were dropped to $360 and should be sold out by now. The 160GB SKU bundled w/ Uncharted & Pain will be $499.

17. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

No, unless you own shares, you're not a shareholder. You might be a stakeholder though...

Sony has taken quite a beating due the economic downturn. The volatile exchange rates play havoc with their profit margins. It's all very well saying we made 15 bazillion dollars this year, but if the exchange rates plummet then ther actual earnings are way less when converted back to Yen.

Just look at what has happened between the $ and the £ over the last couple of months. Was about $1.96 = £1. It's now about $1.50 = £1.

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Yeah, screw the dollar going up. I didn't have to whip out a calculator for a good while..

19. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

gota love Sony's thinking: Shareholders first, customers second.

but if they don't have any customers then where does that leave the shareholders?

20. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

That's the funny thing is that they DO have customers. This is evident when you hear news about PS3 continuing to sell more than 360 in Q2 of this year, and when you see the total sales #'s:

360 = 21.1 million
    PS3 = 16.84 million

Sony would love to drop the price and get a bunch of people buying their product, but what makes economic/financial sense right now for them? As long as sales are meeting expectations why price drop? Sony is in this for the long-term, not the short-term. Heck, the PS3 isn't even 2 years old yet....Not to say that a price drop isn't needed in certain areas like Europe.

Also, why would Sony tell everyone there will be a price drop this Xmas? NOBODY would buy it until then. A price drop will come when we least expect it.....

Last edited: 29 Oct 2008
Tags: Add Tags