1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Spam filter study - which ones work?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 3 Aug 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

The annoying thing with my yahoo account is that yahoo thinks all my online shopping invoices etc are spam and sends them to my Bulk mail box with the rest of the spam.

Its a real pain as with yahoo I get upto 30-50 spam emails aday which yahoo does well in sending straight to the bulk box. But if I dont log in a few days it builds up quick and checking through the spam for my online invoices is a job i dont like doing.

3. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

I used to filter out spam using Outlook when I was in college. The problem is that many of the spam emails use constructive gibberish to pass the filter. I found myself constantly having to maintain an enormous filter list when I hit upon a genius idea:

Instead of filtering out spam why don't I just filter the mail I want into another folder? Since I know the email addresses of people who contact me and companies I wish to hear from, this has proven far easier than filtering out the spam.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

18kb/s :eyebrow:

In any case, I've found GMail's spam filter to be very good... it catches pretty much every piece of spam and hasn't put a legitimate email in there yet. I do get a piece landing in my inbox every week or so, but that's hardly an inconvenience.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Much of the spam I get is from places such as Yahoo!Groups. Which is hard to avoid unless you want to block the rest of the group mail. :(

I've found spam filters to catch a few vital e-mails, which is rather a pain...

6. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

Same.

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i dont do alot of email work, generally just topic notifications from forums, ive found yahoo's filter to be about 70% effective, ish

i still get blatant spam in my inbox

what about the emails you never get, the ones they delete, how many of those are legitimate :eek:

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i get 100 pieces of spam to my work/uni email addy...daily.
    The uni's filter on the server end is extremely good though, it flags spam with a {SPAM} tag, which once setup in Outlook sorts everything out.

I've never lost anything in the spam folder which i wanted nor had spam land in my inbox.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

My old email address used to get spammed daily, up to 300 or so. Suffice to say, I gave up trying to keep it and it's fallen into a black hole somewhere.

10. MortarHeadd

MortarHeadd What's a Dremel?

I've never needed a spamfilter since I got cautious about spyware/malware. I lost one account to spam (500 messages daily) but once I made a new account and got my act together, things got better. I've seen GMail's filter do wonders for my friends inboxes (30 a day filtered away), but I hardly ever see anything in there on my account.

11. KriTip

KriTip What's a Dremel?

My hotmail used to get about 50 a day!! But for the last three years I have used just my ISP e-mail....I don't need any spam filter as I get no spam (read one or two pcm!). The ISP even offers the service of free spam filtering, but its disabled in my account preferences.

Guess its down to common sense and a bit of luck really :D

Kristian

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I use Yahaoo and it works pretty well. I get maybe one or two spams a day, but I can live with that rate. Sad part is sometimes those are the only email I get all day :waah:

13. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I deal with spam the hard way, but the best way in the long run.

God knows how most of these people get your email address, but rather than just junk and delete I find it's much better to Open it up, find the 'un-subscribe' link and get them off your back once and for all. I'm down to very little spame now with a little effort.

Tags: Add Tags