1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam launches broadcasting mode

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm looking forward to trying this out so I can play Monkey Island with my Dad whilst I'm at uni :D
    (tried it the other night just with Skype screen sharing, but I would imagine this might be better/more efficient etc)

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Rural internet will really poo on this fun feature for me and millions of others. I can barely stream a 240p YouTube video between 17:00 and 23:59 so I feel like, in the words of a dragon, "I'm out."

Come on UK, join the 21st century mate.

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

super cool

5. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I'm in same boat as you. But I now have EE 4G 50GB per month on contract. I've stuck the dongle in the best part of house for reception and I get 35Mb/s.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Rural Internet is slowly improving (still needs to pick up the pace and do a lot better though), we're finally getting decent speeds in rural parts of Cornwall. Now the main issue with using the Internet around here is the fact that our power goes out far too often. :(

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm so glad they haven't called this 'steaming'.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

If they did, it would be a steaming pile of 'steaming' for those with low-bandwidth internets...

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Just tried it off a 720p stream and it worked remarkably well from a viewer's perspective. Might be nicer to make it an option when you right-click on a user in your friends list, but the background tech works perfectly well.

10. Troglodyte

Troglodyte What's a Dremel?

Should be popular amongst friends but Twitch will win out with the Channel broadcasters.

11. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Not to be snidy, but it's not very rural if there are "millions" living in it ;-)

The main problem in UK (and IMO the biggest) is the urban sprawl. Most, if not nearly all, the population should be living in cities, and the "rural" areas should be for farmers and wildlife. That's how it is in the Continent. It's no wonder that Internet speeds are lagging nationally.

12. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

been both streaming and watching streams tonight. first impressions are VERY good for a beta. only thing they need to do IMO is pull the game source sound instead of the persons desktop sound. it was VERY annoying to hear the person im watchings' vent/mumble/teamspeak conversation (from recieving end only) over the game. If they can take straight from source and ommit the rest then its a winner

13. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Gave this a try yesterday - Only game audio should be streamed (or at least toggle on/off). I also couldn't see the broadcast chat as the streamer, no matter what options I picked. Other than those, it worked very well!