1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Steam Machines specs and prices: Which one is for you?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Jan 2014.

1. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

It's worth adding these points:

Gabe has previously said that Steam could evolve to become an API for store fronts.

There was a Valve mention that they would not stop other clients like Origin being being installed on Steam machines.

Steam machines will not be restricted to purely SteamOS. Therefore you will be able to boot whatever OS you install.

Linux is being used so that Valve can work on the source code to the OS, and they can't do that with Windows. Linux is a free alternative OS, thereby negating the cost to consumer of a Win based machine.

You can still stick your current gaming PCs under your TVs. Or, like me, you could stick the noisy gaming PC in the garage/loft/cupboard and buy a cheap, small, quiet, SteamOS streaming receiver and stick it under the TV instead.

Regarding the drama of controller vs keyboard+mouse in the living room debate - the Steam boxes will be able to use keyboards and mice .......

2. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I'm curious to see exactly what iBuyPower and CyberpowerPC have to offer once their specs are finalized. At $499 they peaked my interest.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Someone needs to remind Alienware the meaning of a open hardware platform.
    Or slap Gabe around the face for letting them use the Steam IP, either way the Alienware SM is an epic fail.

5. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

It is worth remembering that you always have the choice whether you buy a box every year or not. I think Alienware are only saying that they will refresh every year, not that you need to.

6. Crunchy

Crunchy What's a Dremel?

So far, so 3DO.

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

At least we don't have to pay anything to turn a PC into a Steam machine, though.

Tags: Add Tags