1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam UI Beta Impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2010.

1. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I personally think the new UI is great now that they have ironed out the initial large bugs. The mini list is still there, the detail list serves it's purpose and the grid view is pretty in that itunes-dukebox kind of way but not very practical. The categories are very handy and all your choices are stored on the steam cloud so they carry over between machines. I do wish you could assign a game to multiple categories though (action/co-op/fps/etc.)

The best part of the new UI though is the ingame interface. As many have pointed out, the new browser - based on webkit rather than IE - is a marked improvement and it is even possible to watch youtube videos, ingame should you so wish. You are also treated to the much needed clock as well as friends, news specific to your current game as well as relevant links and current achievment progress.

All in all there isn't much not to like as you can customise pretty much all of it to your tastes.

If anyone was put off by their first couple of tries when the UI first launch, I'd suggest giving it another shot.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The new mini list is a pale shadow of itself. I've never really understood why there's a need to remove existing functionality when updating a feature set.

3. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Tried the beta when it appeared a couple of months back, not sure if i liked it, and went back to the old version. Just seems simple and uncluttered compared to the new version. Only change i made was to change to the 'flat obsidian' colour-scheme, much better than the default 'dirty green' :)

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, good to hear, I hate the idea of the library system too. What's wrong with the list format at the moment?!
    Good. I use Chrome and prefer it over IE by a long way.

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Steam is Your Answer to the many questions of life.

There is no life without Steam.

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Took me a while to adjust but I love it. Old version just looks awful to me now

7. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

New version looks too cluttered and is a chore to navigate.

8. theineffablebob

theineffablebob What's a Dremel?

Steam is a digital distribution service, is it not?

9. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Will not be moving from the old version until they prise it form my cold, dead fingers.

10. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

You can even browse the gamers you've recently played with when adding people to your friends list – a particularly handy inclusion for you social butterflies.

Urm, you've been able to this since the original overlay :|

11. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

"as you peruse your gaming library you get a handy peek at just which of your friends own the same titles as you"
    What's next? share your creditcard number with friends? Share secret recordings they made with your webcam? Interface with your doctor's computer and share that? There's such a thing as privacy and I think companies should learn from google's disaster and NOT assume you want everything shared with everybody, even if you know them a bit online.

Frankly I don't like steam anymore since they ruined some games with their pushed 'updates'/

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    With an awful pricing policy.

Tags: Add Tags