1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Steampunk/Dieselpunk Computer MK2, 24th of January

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Wirecase, 24 Jan 2014.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Well I looked at it and thought of Angela Lansbury so you've done it right ! :D

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

IT'S SO STEAMPUNK I'M GONNA DIE!!!

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

4. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

beautifully done

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Well... I don't really know what to say... That's just so cool. There are so many great little features that you have included. I love the power cable, the cap really looks good with the rest of the build. It is a fantastic little touch, and the mouse scroll wheel is great. I'm going to keep a close eye on guys to see the finished project

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Normally I boo at dismantling old tech, but these are very common still. I love what you have done too.:D

7. Wirecase

Wirecase What's a Dremel?

Steampunk/Dieselpunk Computer MK2, 18th of February

Hi guys,

So first of all, Boorach, AlienwareAndy, Nexxo, Jumeira_Johnny, LegendaryScott, Dancingbear84 and Cheapskate... Thank you guys so much for the praise... I'm really glad you appreciate my work!!

And, in reply to Cheapskate, I'm also not a fan of dismantling old tech. But, as I said in my first post, these 2 machines were beyond saving... The normal carriage one having badly, and I mean badly, rusted mechanics. And the wide carriage one missing parts and some things stuck and twisted, made me feel not so bad. A big plus is that I'm giving a combination of their good parts a new lease of life :)

So, now on with the update!

I do feel my machine needed speakers... As I'm still thinking on what to do I've chosen to have integrated, invisible, speakers for now. I've mounted a pair of small USB powered speakers inside the carriage. The thing is though, I'd really like to visible speakers in some way.

What I was thinking of is a pair of small tulip shaped horns. At first I though they would sit at the sides of the monitor but, as it's already quite wide I'm looking into different placement. One option is to have them come out of the bottom of the carriage and curve upwards, but then I don't know how to mount the speaker part of the horns in a good looking way... The other option is to have the speakers separate on their own base.

Anyway here's what I've been toying around with:

I looked around for a pattern to make some horn shaped speakers. I printed the pattern to be 8 cm long and made a paper version first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Satisfied with the look and shape I decided to go on and make the metal versions, from left to right:

1- Paper version
    2- Bare unshaped metal petal
    3- Curved in the width
    4- Curved lengthwise (finished shape)

[​IMG]

First one soldered, the edges still rough and the soldered joints a bit ugly because I set a too low temperature for the soldering-iron. Did it the right way for the second one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the solder joints by re-flowing them at a higher temperature and treated both horns to a nice coat of filler primer.

[​IMG]

The Idea is to finish them in black, high gloss paint... Or... remake them out of brass sheet and keep 'm as bare polished brass...

That's where the speaker idea has stranded for now... I did however get the opportunity to go and take "project finished" pictures in a very nice location, but that's for the next post! :p

Greets for now,

Wire!

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Brass! Brass! Brass! Brass! Brass! Brass! Brass! Brass! Brass!...

9. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

This is just lovely.

10. Wirecase

Wirecase What's a Dremel?

Case Mod Steampunk/Dieselpunk Computer MK2, 5th of March

Hey hey,

After a few very busy weeks at work I'm back!

First of all, @Nexxo, I will retry making them out of Brass then :)
    And, @ Mockingbird, Thanks man!

So last time I was saying I would post some "project finished" pictures, sadly my camera is acting up so most of the pictures look a bit grainy :confused: anyway, here are the pictures:

Some overviews
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, some close-ups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And something extra, a mouse I build a while ago that fits the style...

[​IMG]

Hope you like the pics! :)

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

OMG, That is gorgeous. I do love the mouse too. Excellent job Sir!

I have a desk similar to this one, except that it is in wallnut. It is currently under modification because it is too big to fit the door opening :facepalm:. I'm modding it to have the below part separable, everything is assembled the good'ol way (dove tails, morteses, etc.), not a single nails or screw.