1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Sunscreen recommendations please!

Discussion in 'General' started by ElThomsono, 27 May 2021.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I would usually call it suntan lotion but that feels antiquated. Anyway, summer is here, and I'm not in love with the Riemann P20 I have been using for a few years. It covers arms well but trying to do your face with it is a pain as it's such a viscous fluid. Occasionally I get caught out and wear children's SPF50, which is a bit like applying white lithium grease to your skin.

Can anyone recommend something that they've used with a passable SPF (20+ ?) that's easy to rub in? The key here is that it has to apply easily or I just won't bother with it, because I'm lazy and stupid :sigh:

Asking here for genuine advice as Google is a minefield of products with five star reviews.

2. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

The wife and kids are gingers and we use nivea spray on stuff. Usually the 50+. It goes on pretty easy, just a quick spray and rub in. Sinks in well, waterproof-is and provides good protection.
    Not advised to spray at the face though, put it in your hand and rub on. Really stings the eyes.

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

We used to be P20 advocates but converted a couple of years ago to Calipso.

It’s nicer to put on, cheaper and works well.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Worth a shot; is this the aerosol stuff or the "pump" type spray stuff?

Cheers, do you know which one? There are millions!

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Just checked the cupboard, its this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calypso-Once-Day-Protection-Lotion/dp/B007HKCCBG/

My son has eczema, so during the summer we use this on him everyday before school and it doesn't trigger his eczema either and protects him all day.

Despite it says its for kids it works really well and the entire family uses it.

ElThomsono likes this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Double post

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Cheers, I've ordered one to try.

I'm still willing to try other things if anyone else has suggestions?

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

No problem, hope you get on well with it.

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That looks good thanks @Goatee, I need some sunscreen for boating and SPF 40 looks ideal for a one shot solution.
    My parents see a dermatologist annually for a skin check up, as they spend a lot of time on the water through the year and she recommended ditching last year's and buying fresh every season, as the SPF protection decays over time.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

https://www.boots.com/festival/sunp...-protect-sun-cream-spray-spf50-200ml-10118847

I've been using this for yonks when out biking or digging trails. Very water and sweat resistant, non-slippy, keeps me pasty and white like I should be.

However it does have some downsides, it's alcohol based so the stuff's flammable until it's dried out on you (no smoking!) and it's also smells pretty foul until it dries. Last but not least it stains light coloured clothes, but I've yet to find a sunscreen that doesn't.

ElThomsono likes this.
  11. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

It is the pump stuff we get, white bottle hypoallergenic stuff.

ElThomsono likes this.
  12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've used this one before but don't remember much about it? I guess that means that it wasn't awful or amazing, but I'll shortlist it anyway, thanks.

Ok, cheers, I might give that a go next.

I've tried one aerosol previously and it was awful, no idea if it was just bad luck or if they're all like that. Ever used an old can of spraypaint that hadn't had the nozzle cleaned properly? It was like that.

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Generally I use this, goes up to SPF50 as well, does alright with sweat an being splashed on, does leave a light oily feeling on your palms after use though.

[​IMG]

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Just remembered what we've been using this last few years: Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration SPF 30. Nicest smelling stuff I've used - coconut edge to it and not too sticky/greasy.

@CrapBag - in the interests of balance other mud covered heroes are available! :lol:

16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

apologies, but

Cookie Monster likes this.
  17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I'm shocked and disgusted with these forums, it took far too long for someone to post that. Well done @MadGinga for stepping up and doing the right thing.

Last edited: 29 May 2021
    MadGinga likes this.
  18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I slapped the Calypso grease on this morning, it was a bit thick but that made it easy to see where it had been applied, and within 15 minutes I looked human again. I've been out all day in the hot Bournemouth sun and it's working fantastically.

I'd still rather something a bit lighter so I will probably give a spray a shot later on; I guess nothing's perfect though.