1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor The best in SFF

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheForumMonkey, 30 Jul 2004.

1. TheForumMonkey

TheForumMonkey What's a Dremel?

Alrighty,

I'm looking into purchasing a nice SFF PC and wondering whats best (like the Shuttle brand or AOpen). I want it mid performance resonably fast, probs 2ghz or more not for gaming or anything just general use, maybe as a HTPC on occasion. What's the recommendations, I'm new to this end of the PC market and looking to be informed :D

Thanks in advance

2. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

After reading a lot of reviews im plumping for the antec aria and after that im going to make my own one ,case that is helps that i know a good sheetmetal worker :D

3. TheForumMonkey

TheForumMonkey What's a Dremel?

yeah building my own case is just too much effort, besides shuttles n that look good enough! :D

4. Perpetual Notion

Perpetual Notion What's a Dremel?

Go with a shuttle, dude, they're solid little machines. I've got a SN41G2 that never complains, never fails to boot, and is a sweet little gaming machine too.

If you're not gaming, you don't even need to install any cards, just slap a a proccessor, ram, harddrive and an optical drive in it and you're good to go.

Perp

5. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

The Shuttle ones are certainly nice and I've had one or two, but the A-Open ones are just as good in some cases, if not better. I would recommend getting a Shuttle SB75G2 though as I've used one. Get a P4 2.4GHz, 1GB PC4000 and overclock the hell out of it. Great machine :) .

6. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

7. Perpetual Notion

Perpetual Notion What's a Dremel?

That 350 watt PSU is pretty sexy too.

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

As perpetual said, the shuttle sn41g2 is a good machine, and so is the sn45g, but you'll need a graphics card with the 45g.

If you've got the cash, then buy the one that gordy linked to....

(gigabit ethernet and sata raid in a shuttle = teh win!) :hehe:

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Where do the hard drives go? I see that it has 4 sata connectors but where do you put the drives?

10. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Two sit under the optical drive, one sits (sideways) above it. You can only fit four if you remove the optical.

At least, that's what I understand of it. Haven't seen one in person yet.

11. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Thats slighly incorrect.

Two drives go underneath the optical drive on top of each other. Then the second pair go side by side ontop of the optical drive.

Its a completely tool-less build as well , there was a vid of them building one at the last major trade show its was very impressive :)

12. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

four drives? no problem!

http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/raid4/

just gotta either know someone at fijutsu or wait for the retail versions to hit the stores sometime later this year. seagate is getting their own line going with the 7200.1 series.

13. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Shame they are laptop ones and therefore small in capacity and high in price :(

Tags: