1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Was this not down to socioeconmic factors?

2. walle

walle Minimodder

I suppose it could be a combination of not enough sun and poor diet.

Whites can have problems with vitamin d deficiency also, however, since they are white they can do with less sun hours and still get sufficient enough vitamin d to help carry them over the winter months.

Blacks, regardless of poor or good diet, would have less vitamin d in their system for reasons explained, i.e. not strong enough sun and not enough sun hours, running low.

We all need vitamin d to help boost our immune system.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's basically what's been published so far, yes:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...inorities-government-race-inequality-epidemic
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/informations...coronavirus/coronavirus-and-ethnic-minorities

By all means, please do let us know when you've got something valuable to contribute.

[​IMG]

I mean... seriously... If you want to talk about a 'post-rational world' then that implies that you even understand what 'rational' means, but your posts thus far clearly demonstrate otherwise. Here's a tip for you: claims require evidence.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

To be fair:
    With how much school kids have already missed they might as well just write off 2020 and make them all repeat the year.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Just look at how well NZ are doing. As of the past 48 hours they have a total of 61 active cases - that's 61 cases diagnosed in managed areas at the boderr. The most recent case due to community transmission was one in November. Locking down fast and hard, controlling borders was always the way to go.

We're at 75k+ dead. This has been mishandled from the start, there's no ifs, buts or maybes about that.

It's due to the mismanagement that we've had so many lockdowns that have gone on to the point that it's, understandably, driving everybody insane and causing more economic impact that it could have done.

Again, this isn't hindsight, it was a choice from the start.

ModSquid likes this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Noooo. Not with the effort we're putting in here to keep them focused and educated!

I have another question - given we're told to isolate for 10-14 days after coming into contact with a carrier, of what value is a test at the border that is 72h old max?

7. Valo

Valo Minimodder

A lot of food sold in the developed countries is fortified with vitamin D up to necessary amounts (for the geographical location). If you eat cereal and use sandwich spread you likely make up for the crap British weather vitamin-D wise. In some countries (Norway IIRC) milk is fortified with vitamin D.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Probably has something to do with stuff like this: https://www.jabfm.org/content/29/2/226#:~:text=For US individuals age 6,/mL (Table 1).

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I suggested as much to the missus when the first lockdown came about, this lot get to repeat the year they've not done and the school starting age gets upped by a year.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The Tory Party members that gave Bozo the party leadership, have a lot to answer for.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

law99 likes this.
  12. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

It's about reducing possible transmission events and at least prevents some asymptomatic contagious individuals from travelling and infecting a plane load of people.

At this point though I'm inclined to agree as individuals from almost everywhere else in the world have a lower chance of being infected than someone in the UK.

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Do they actually know yet at what point after contact you become a) infectious and b) possible to test positive? Assuming in both cases that you do contract it yourself, of course, whether asymptomatically or not.

Because that seems key, I reckon. Although admittedly, that still won't get around the fact that you could show up at the airport waving your negative test, but have been exposed in the meantime. Quarantine on arrival seems the only sensible way, like that Korean chap posted.

Just listening to a mix by a professional DJ who was apparently playing to "a rammed out club" in Cairo, so their rules have clearly relaxed somewhat.

14. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I think so but don't know off the top of my head, it's also not like exposure starts a countdown clock that's the same for everyone. If you snog someone with it it's a much greater viral load than walking past someone in the supermarket, so time from the exposure to testing positive / contagious is going to be different, that's why we have the 10/14 day isolation period, after that point it's not very likely you will develop symptoms or become contagious. I think the 3 day time limit was brought about with that in mind and again, isn't a silver bullet, but is better than no test and yes quarantine on arrival would remove another vector, something which appears unenforced still.
    The case rate in Egypt is reported as around 17 per hundred thousand people. The case rate in the UK is toward 1,000 per hundred thousand people.

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yeah, I guess my point was that at a packed out rave it only takes one of those 17 people to become a superspreader and have the rate shoot up again. One can only hope they did a temperature test at least (or similar) on the door, but nothing was mentioned so I don't know.

Edit: just occurred to me the irony of doing a temperature check at a rave...

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

NSFW

I've never been a Tory fan, in all honestly i've never nailed my colours to the mast of a particular party. In fact, I think i'd associate more with a fully PR setup where views across parties are plucked.

That said I can think of dozens of former Tory members that I would at least trust to handle a pandemic more capably than the sorrow show we have at the moment.

17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

You just made me wonder what sort of job Thatcher would have done...

I do like Pye though, - right good value, he is. Cheered up my arvo.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The current crop were selected for compliance, not competence.

19. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

A more cynical mind might think that what looks like incompetence is actually very deliberate e.g.
    The brinkmanship paves the way for crisis capitalism, where normally unpopular policies can be pushed through in the name of national security/health, whatever...I guarantee that Q2 of 2021 will see an initiative for sweeping NHS reforms. The NHS will be "rewarded" for their endurance by mitigating their burden through increased privatisation. It will be sold as the private sector "helping out", and how dare you disagree with these benevolent policies when NHS workers are at breaking point and thousands have died.
    Also, a months-long strict national lockdown will provide a handy scapegoat for the economic/logistic damage that Brexit is sure to do

adidan likes this.
  20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It may not simply be a case of malice or incompetence... it could just as easily be malice and incompetence.

adidan likes this.