1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Gigabyte Aorus ATC800 tower fan will be perfect for overclocking potential

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Aug 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Last edited: 4 Aug 2020
  3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Bit-Tech overlords... Can I ask a question? This seems to be a badly written puff piece rather than a news article. Are your journalistic standards slipping or am I being unreasonable? If the latter I'll happily pipe down and stick to other parts of the Forums, but I've noticed a few articles like this recently (mostly, I note, from the same author) and finally decided to say something.

I'll start at the beginning. The inclusion of 'potential' in the tile doesn't make sense. A cooler could be perfect for overclocking, or could offer overclocking potential, but it can't be perfect for potential. Worse, the title suggests BT are endorsing the product rather than just reporting it - "Gigabyte says ATC800..." would be better (though again I'd skip the 'potential' at the end). If you'd tested it and found it perfect for overclocking that would be a different matter.

The opening paragraph is badly composed: "The tower fan has been specially designed with multi-core processors in mind. It features stack fins, 6 Direct Touch heat pipes of 6mm in diameter, along with a dual ball bearing structure, dual fan and a fan blade design that you'd only see here. Combined, Gigabyte believes it delivers superior heat dissipation TDP suppression and it's demonstrated that by overclocking the Intel Core i9-10900K alongside it."

This prompts a few questions: Are any coolers not designed for multi-core processors these days? Do most air coolers not have a stack of fins? What part of the structure is formed of two ball bearings? Do I want a cooler to offer "TDP suppression" rather than just cooling, and how on earth does it suppress the TDP of the CPU? Finally, there is just some bad English in there: 'a fan blade design you'd only see here', without any explanation about how it's different, and overclocking 'alongside' the cooler - that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. I know it's a re-hash of the quote from Jackson Hsu below - but why do it if you're going to include the quote as well?

The last grumble I'll make is about using 'tower fan' rather than 'tower cooler' at several points. A fan and a cooler aren't the same thing. I'm sure I've made grammatical or spelling errors in this post, we all do it, but this article just seems to be sloppy.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They are just reporting on a product announcement, which isn't bit-tech specific but happens on other sites like guru3d, anandtech, kitguru etc as well.
    Those stories are nearly always full of dumb marketing fluff for us to laugh at copied verbatim from the "manufacturers" PR department.

The real articles will only come when the product actually exists and review samples have been handed out.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Same as what was said above although we technically can't call it a press release due to us not copy pasting it. Here's a better example of us taking the piss as is referenced above https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/peripherals/razer-launches-blackshark-v2-and-v2-x-headsets/1/

6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Thanks, I get the taking the piss in the article you linked, I read that and didn’t think twice about it. That one worked for me because it was well written, making it clear the author was reporting on a product launch and making fun of the outrageous marketing guff they were spouting at the same time.

I guess this article just didn’t work for me. I’ll get back in my box now.

MLyons likes this.
Tags: Add Tags