1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The hardest game you completed

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul2011, 6 May 2011.

1. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

I was just wondering what was the hardest game you actually stuck with to complete and was it worth it? how did it make you feel?

now this could be hard because of sheer difficulty or frustating or bug ridden or you heard it was great despite the difficulty, but you persevered and got to the end.

Personally the hardest game i ever stuck with all the way through was on the amiga - xcom ufo enemy unknown, man that game was hard, i didnt abuse save states since i was only 12 at the time and didnt know it was possible. But the feeling i got from blowing that brain up with a blaster bomb and knowing id just saved the entire world was awesome, somthing ill never forget lol i ran downstairs and told my mam who just looked blankly and said "thats nice, well done" i just saved the world dammit!

so come on whats yours??

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Probably AvP2 (not the newest one). Admittedly I was playing it on hard but it also scared the crap out of me which made it even harder as I would panic from time to time.

Finishing the final battle in Unreal Tournament 3 was also hard. Impact hammer Cheesecake! I only managed to win by gaining the upper hand and then trying not to get killed for the remaining time. It was damn satisfying to see Reaper smash the bejesus out of Akasha in the end video.

The Freespace and Aquanox series get a mention as well - I could only ever play them on easy as the next level up I always seemed to get missile/torpedo spammed to the point of running out of decoys :miffed: .

Oh, and Far Cry. The difficulty curve in that game could fluctuate like mad.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Arma 2; half the time you're fighting the game's stability, the other half the gritty realism. And your mentally deficient squad mates don't help matters either.

4. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

Ninja Gaiden. The 3D Xbox version ofc.
    That was just so bloody hard, but I felt so awesome when I finally completed it.

Kept going through on the harder difficulties. Damn.

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Hardest games I can recall that I've completed were Kid Chameleon, there were about 3 levels in the game that were a pain in the ass and one that was near impossible to complete without having a vast number of lives to practice with.

The other game I can think of is Ghosts & Goblins, I lost many nights of sleep trying to beat this game when I was younger. I'd say it is one of those games where the last level is nowhere near the challenge of the earlier ones.

As for hardest game that I still can't complete, "I Wanna Be The Guy". That game is so infuriatingly hard to beat...

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Silent Hill series on a very cold winters day/night playing them all through with my best friend. I can never be too sure a nurse isn't going to stab me in the throat anymore, or I'll wake up with a crying shadow of a baby in my wardrobe.

Those games scared the be-jesus out of me... but forced me to continue for the storyline.

7. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Hmm, Halo: ODST on legendary by myself was pretty difficult. Took me a couple of days to get through it. I remember using cover and sneaking past enemies whenever I could, because being a normal soldier, and taking on two hunters is a difficult task. Let alone two hunters, a dozen brutes, and two dozen grunts with some jackals thrown in for good measure.

But it was fun and was a rewarding look into the Halo Universe from a different perspective.

I still have yet to complete Reach on Legendary by myself. Though I'm more willing now considering I've done a few LASO missions for the weekly challenges. Speaking of, 1 LASO mission took a friend and me 5 hours to complete. That was the most difficult moment I've gaming I've ever played.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the Snes and Ghouls and Ghosts on the Mega Drive!

The hardest game I never completed? GRAW. Played the first level for 2 hours. Couldn't beat it and figured I'm retarded.

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Persian Gulf or Persian Crisis on the Amiga.... feck me that was hard.

10. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.

nice to see a good mix of old and new games

11. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or were older games just so much harder to complete? Games seem to be increasingly easier to complete these days, I'm sure back in the early 90s they made a lot of games that were designed to be impossible to complete. I don't believe it's just that I've got better at games as I've got older either.

12. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

i agree, nowadays your practically held by the hand and guided along, which is nice but id like a challenge and be able to die more than one way, but i guess thats what sells these days.

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The majority of games do seem to be getting a lot easier nowadays, there are the odd few that continue the fun of an unbearably hard game.
    If you look at games done by little independent developers, you can usually find a lot of ones that are insanely hard.

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

There are those that try to make them difficult, but to the point where it is simply frustrating as hell when they do. I cleared Black Ops singleplayer (yes it exists, but I wouldn't really bother) on veteran mode and it was the most infuriating thing I have subjected myself to recently. Friendly AI that does absolutely nothing except absorb a few bullets and the enemy AI that is looking the other way and insta-turn-kill you if you pop your head up. It is a lesson in patience.

At least in Flashpoint, you could still win if you took your time and worked with your team!

15. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

Yeah Call of Duty always seems to be like that. You have to just take your time and be persistent. Veteran level always just seems to be a patience game rather than involving any particularly skill.

Sorry I seem to have hijacked your thread a little...

16. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Stalker games can be quite difficult

17. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Either Demons souls or Megaman 10.

both fairly recent, and both hard as hell, but generally fair.

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Demon's Souls was brutal my first time through. It gets a lot easier once you start learning some tricks and better builds but it's certainly never an easy game!

It's not really something you complete, but World of Warcraft can be a very hard game. It's a massive test of leadership to coordinate even just 10 people, let alone 25 or 40. The actual difficulty of the content at hand varies wildly, but the people will always be there to make a raid leader's life hell.

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Understatement much :lol:

The last level of Xenon 2 was utterly insane.
    Beating Emerald Weapon without underwater materia :D
    Multitask (the flash game)
    94% expert Through Fire And Flames :rock:
    God there's so many from years ago that i'm struggling to think of more.

One however stands out and is, no question, the hardest thing in all of video gaming history..................Staying in formation in Starwing on the SNES.

I'm most proud of some things done in LotRO to be honest. ME and a mate duoing level cap full group instances just to see if we could :D

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Probotector.