1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

By far the best case.

Work is flying me to New York on the 24th of this month for a couple days. If I pick up a 3G iPad while I'm there, do you guys think it will work over here (obviously using a UK sim/data plan) or will the GSM hardware be incompatible?

I don't mind getting a WiFi only iPad if I have to, but I'd prefer the 3G version.

2. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Feb 2024
  3. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

They should launch it into outer space and think of something useful

4. omicron

omicron Baud.

Do you think it will be able to resurrect old threads from space?

5. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

It just did! :jawdrop:

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I guess if you've just read all 38 pages and you still can't be convinced that there is a market with willing consumers then you'll never be convinced.

7. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

Yes people are interested in talking about it. Apple did well there. But in reality isn't it just a big iPhone? Also I hate being tethered to iTunes. It should be like similar devices, you just plug them in and they just appear like a memory stick ready for copy & paste. iTunes reminds me of GFWL in that you don't have a choice, you're forced to use them.

8. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

I posted on this old thread the first time to make up the 20 posts you need to qualify for free delivery from scan.

Its working out quite nicely now :D

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Well I had a quick play on one today, and I'm going to eat my original words. It's one nifty bit of kit. I can actually really see a place for one in my life - what a great thing it would be to have lying around the house. I sometimes find the iphone a bit too fiddly when i want to quickly look something up.

The only deal breaker is the flash thing for me, so much content out there that will be missed, but I can just about see the justification behind it. Hope to god that the internet catches up quick with HTML5!!!

10. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

"We are pleased to send you this dispatch regarding your Apple Store order.

Your Delivery Reference Number is blahblahblah
    We expect your order to be delivered to your shipping address on or before 28.05.2010."

Mmmm tech toy goodness on it's way!

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Adobe is already releasing an HTML5 add-on pack for Dreamweaver. With a million units sold so far, I think there are going to be a lot of sites creating HTML content specifically tailored to the iPad.

12. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

What is the issue with iTunes? All you're doing is dragging and dropping then syncing, it is just one more step and doesn't take any real amount of time.

I like it because i can't sort out content and things including movie folders and playlists then when i decide to plug my iPod (i have an ipt) in to my macbook it automatically does it, so i don't even have to have my device on hand to set it up for the next sync.

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

So... who bought one? I've played with one, it's very shiny but the screen ratio is really turning me off. That and it's surprisingly heavy to hold in one hand.

I kinda foresee an iPad 2 (or *hopes madly*.... an iPad Pro?) in my future.

14. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I've been expecting mine to be delivered today (Friday) however I went into my garden late yesterday afternoon, sorted a few garden things out and when I went back inside there was a note from UPS saying they had tried to deliver it. bugger!

15. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Why do we need to write special HTML for the iPad?

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I think he means sites will eschew Flash and try to deliver as much content as possible via HTML.

17. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

html 5 anyone?

18. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

That's once they can ratify the standard and even when they do, it's going to mean recoding sites.

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

There's a huge difference between being able to quickly access the raw file, than to have itunes catalog it in some stupid syncing format.

For those of us who like to organize our music into folders, Syncing is just awful. Not to mention most MTP devices don't support a lot of formats.

I like to have control over my device, not the other way around.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

First off..please excuse me. I have not, and will not read all this thread.
    __

It looks supremely cool. But I'm a hankerer after function as well as form. The I-pad needs to majorly improve before it is anything more than a luxury.

Remember the old Mobile/Cell phones that were literally the size of bricks? That is what this I-pad is. In a few years it will be as indispensable as mobile/cell phones are now.

But this generation? It is a pretty lump and nothing more.