1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Old Republic: All I Want is the Cutscenes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

The latest trailer for Star Wars: The Old Republic has been released and it’s freaking awesome. This follows previous cut-scene and video releases that have been similarly impressive, engaging and enjoyable. However, with the game looking a bit duff, I’m wondering if Electronic Arts, Bioware and LucasArts could be persuaded into releasing a cut-scene-only version? I’d happily pay to watch a short film made from them...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/2011/06/13/old-republic-all-i-want-is-the-cutscenes/

2. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

"So please, can we just have the cinematics to watch, and leave the MMO to WoW deserters? Please?"

No.

You will have Lucas droppings and you will be happy for it.

3. HerpDerp

HerpDerp What's a Dremel?

Similar is good. Same is bad. The point many people are making is that this trailer sounds, looks, and plays similarly to many scenes from the films. So similarly that you may as well just watch the films again. The trailer is good, but the films are still better. While we have a lack of information to work with right now, if the rest of the plot in this game continues at the same level of similarity, it will be entirely boring, predictable and feel like a fat streak of dejavu.

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Love this trailer!

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Credit where credit due, the guys at Blur Studios are amazing.

As mentioned in another thread, I was in contact with them a few years ago, and to call their services expensive would be the understatement of the century. But, as you can tell, worth every penny.

6. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

You're not the first person i've seen suggest this, there was a whole thread about it on the SWTOR forums. In fact you might even be crucified there for stating it was more similar to the original trilogy by people arguing that Jedi/Sith never pranced about with the acrobatic lightsaber moves over there :D (in fact, over there that's a debate in itself as to whether or not Lucas had meant them to be slow, mental battles or simply didn't have access to properly capture it).

I do find it a little disappointing that there's such a disparity between the game and the trailer however it's not the first time i've seen something in a cutscene and been like "Hey, I can't do that in game!" (although in this case you actually can, it just doesn't look as nice as its portrayed).

+ You're slightly off the mark with the cutscene comment i believe Clive (unless you know something i don't ? :D), the previous trailers are exactly that, simply trailers and not cutscenes within the game. The "Return" Cinematic itself is the opening movie that players will see when first loading up the game. I believe all other cutscenes in the game are rendered using the ingame engine.

7. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

totally agree here, trailers are awesome, videos of gameplay not so...

funny thing though, if you try and point that out on the SW forums or simple comments under clips, TOR's fanboys will turn Sith on you...

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Ehm, you mean "Malgus" not "Malcus", right?
    Also, I'm sure you mean "When the Sith lord Force-pulls the second lightsaber to him", not "...Jedi master...".

All in all the trailer is pretty but like the others made by Blur Studios, is a bit shallow.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I assumed he meant when Satele threw her SaberStaff to her Master.

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The trailer, even as short as it is, is better than the last three Star Wars movies. Which says something about how crap the prequels were.

All things considered though I think Bioware don't need to have a good game to present their stories. I mean if you deconstruct the Mass Effect games, they do not offer much in terms of game-play. Linear 3rd person cover shooter, plus minigames. Yet Mass Effect 2 is the greatest game ever. Why? Story.

So, all things considered, don't write off Bioware. But don't presume genius either. The suspense is killing me.

11. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

This is exactly why people lapped up Knights of the Old Republic - hey, it's a bad RPG with broken combat mechanics, bad dialogue, and a horrible railroaded story, but look how much **** they ripped off from the original trilogy! The Millennium, Tattooine, the Death Star, Darth Vader, Dantooine, Yoda, etc. are all in there... we just gave them different names!

I don't want more of the same old Star Wars. I want something that puts the existing canon to good use without just ripping off the old stuff, while at the same time not being absolutely ****ing terrible.

12. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

As much as I hate MMOs (I get lamentably addicted and then it takes ages to quit), I am now very tempted by this one, if only for the story. Would much rather have a film though.

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I'm sorry but in no way would i ever call KoTOR a bad RPG, if by broken mechanics you meant based on the well established DnD 3.0 system then you're missing something. No, dialogue wasn't the best but it was better than most of the stuff out there and the story was somewhat cliché but had an interesting twist and delivered what was expected of the IP. The fact that it's lauded as one of the best RPGs let alone Star Wars game ever created puts you in a very small minority of people.

And whereas you see rip off of various things, i see homages and numerous references to the different era (where the Jedi are prevalent and the Sith aren't simply "a group of two").

What exactly would be your definition of the same old Star Wars? No Jedi? No Lightsabers? Nothing that makes the Star Wars universe what it is?

14. TFSakon

TFSakon What's a Dremel?

Oh dear god the trailer is just sooo good, I know this isn't a complex and eloquent arguement but am I wrong?

15. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE..... But what does my lightsaber say????

SAAAAAAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

Shame i feel the game will be lacking. I know i will be shot by a salvo of laser fire but i wish they could have made an absolutely Whoresome KOTOR III.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Not a huge Starwars fan, but yes: This:
    +1

And yes, DnD rules are annoying and complicated, but they work well.:D

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I don't think anyone necessarily wanted a Star Wars MMO (especially after how bad Galaxies failed).

However most people put their faith in Bioware and IMO they've done it justice.

I think that it's got a nice balance of MMO features (Raids, Flashpoints etc.) but with the traditional Bioware twist of Storytelling and character development on a personal level.

The only thing i'm worried about is that it might alienate members on more extreme sides of the scale (i.e. those who don't want anything to do with MMOs at all, and those who don't care about Story/Bioware style RPGs).

18. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Yea it was awesome better than the prequel films.

19. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

Blur Studios are absolutely amazing, their Star Wars The Old Republic trilogy of trailers has been stunning and I wish there was some way they could get the finance and time to make a full movie like this, it would be fantastic.

20. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags