1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Thermal Paste and GELID Tranquillo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by civicteer, 4 Jun 2010.

1. civicteer

civicteer What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I've just installed a GELID Tranquillo CPU Cooler on my AMD 955BE with an AMD3 MB.

I applied the thermal paste by using the spread method and didn't get any temperature differences from the stock cooler. I re did it using the blob method and things did improve.

Stock cooler idle 35
    GELID Tranquillo 30-31

Stock cooler load 58
    GELID Tranquillo 47

When I applied the cooler using the blob method, right as I was about to click the final click into place the cooler lifted slightly breaking the seal, I was then able to click it in place.

My question is does it matter that it lifted? I was kinda hoping to get a little better temperatures that that, especially at idle. It was such a chore to fit I'd rather get advice then redo the whole thing - sorry if you think I'm just being lazy! haha

I'm using MX-3, an Antec 300 with 1 intake fan and the 2 exhaust and the cooler is running at about 950RPM idle. I know its not meant to be an ice cold cooler though. It is however totally silent, even under load!

Thanks

Paul :D

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Those temps are decent. But breaking the seal is not really a good idea (you introduce air) but shouldn't do that much.

If you really care, try reseating it. You probably could shave of a degree, maybe two, if you're lucky.