1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice thinking mini-ITX build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trig, 2 Sep 2021.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

so, I really loved my mast 2 micro-atx builds, especially the phantex case. so now that the motherboard is seemingly going down and I must upgrade, i've put together a new rig. what are my fellow bit-techer's thoughts on the build? going amd over 10th gen intel? going mini itx?

The new build here ...

Last edited: 2 Sep 2021
  2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Looks good. I think that version of the case with the glass panel can get a bit hot. I went ITX a while ago for my main rig and no regrets at all.

trig likes this.
  3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Have you seen the cooler master NR200P Max that is coming out?

$349 for an 850w SFX-L PSU, 280mm AIO and the newly modified NR200P case.

Comes in some nice looking colours too and the cooling on it as far as ITX goes is as good as you are ever going to get. It's exceptional.

I'm very tempted myself I must say!

Throw a Titan, B450i and 3600 in and I'll have me a right nice Lan box which bar generational steps is similar to what you have suggested as a spec.

trig likes this.
  4. trig

@meandmymouth, thought about the case you have, but after almost 6 years, its time for a change...im curious how it will be. i know phanteks makes a cpu cooler and kit for gpu cooling...not sure about swinging that money...

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Worth a watch.

6. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Take Jayz with a grain of salt, he always just shotguns random parts in a case and says "that's (insert pretty or not) bad" with no point of reference for anyone to compare to and usually with a random overclock

its a neat case though I am personally a little scared of cooler master AIO's as I have had 2 of them fail within a year with leaks around the cold plate

7. trig

jays entertaining...sometimes...but yeah...i rarely take his advice on anything...he promotes whoever gives him whatever for free. id love to go silent...add water cooling bits in the future, which the enthoo itx would be perfect for...but man, i've had the matx for so long, tired of looking at it

Arboreal likes this.
  8. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Yes, yes, join us!

I still think the NCase M1 is the case to get (assuming you have a GPU that fits - some of the new ones are monstrously big), since it will take virtually any configuration you can throw at it while actually remaining very SFF - and you can actually buy it. And I do mean nearly any configuration - full air, full water, deshrouded GPUs, loads of hard drives, or just keeping it simple.

It is kinda pricey, but I truly think it is my final case, since it is so unrestricted in how you can build in it compared to other boutique SFF cases.

MightyBenihana and Arboreal like this.
  9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

It's quite large for ITX but not too large. The only issue I have is that there's no easy way to cover up the cables that route through the grommets near the front and to the motherboard. I've stuck an SSD in that area to make it look slightly empty but it would look better with full loop water cooling.
    I've had an AIO in the case with no issues but I'm currently using a noctua cooler instead.

10. trig

update: board is stable for some reason...was throwing memory issues on dimm 1, switched sticks to see if it was the stick or the slot, and it was the slot...switched back, i dont know why....and as ive waiting for things to come in stock and a thing or two to sell, nor more crashes...ran memtest again.....no issues...any thoughts? also, any word on alder lake drop?