1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Thumping sound before boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ColonelSeitan, 24 Oct 2011.

1. ColonelSeitan

ColonelSeitan What's a Dremel?

Hi guys :)

Ever since I put in my new video card (Radeon HD 6870) about a month or two ago, when I hit the power button to turn on my comp, I hear a regular, thumping sound like a heartbeat coming from my speakers. This normally happens for about 10 seconds or so, and then the computer beeps once and posts. Sometimes it'll turn on, no thumping, and takes 10-15 seconds and then posts. There've been a couple times where it just sat there and didn't post at all.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I'm afraid something's either being damaged or pooping out on me. Gracias for any help!

System: Windows 7 64-bit
    4 GB DDR2 (2x2gb)
    Core2 Quad CPU, Q9400 2.66ghz
    Gigabyte G41M-combo mobo
    Antec Basiq Plus 550w PSU
    Radeon 6870

2. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

If your remove the graphics card and just use the on board graphics does the problem persist or go away?

3. ColonelSeitan

Will try that when I get home. One other thing I forgot to mention is that I had to use two separate 6-pin connectors from the PSU to plug into the 12-pin jack on the video card, and not sure if that might cause a conflict.

4. ColonelSeitan

One other thing I forgot to note is that since the new video card required a 12-pin cable plugged in, I used two 6-pin ones from my PSU as it doesn't have a straight-up 12-pin.

I tried removing the card and using the onboard video a few minutes ago and it did post quicker(after about 4 seconds) and without the heartbeat sound (though did have one thump when first hitting the power button).

After I plugged the ATI card back in, I also noticed that I would get a thump out of the speakers each time I plugged in or unplugged the DVI cable from the card.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

2 X 6 pin is quite normal, no one uses or makes a 12 pin.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

2 x 6 pin is normal, no one makes a straight 12 pin. The thump you're hearing from the speakers is quite normal also as power go to them. The other thing is when you're plugging something in it's doing the same as before and getting a signal going through, hence the thump.

As for the gPU uninstall it and run driver sweeper to get rid of any old driver, then reinstall it with the latest drivers.

7. ColonelSeitan

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'd tried driver sweeper to clear up any previous driver issues.

You think it's normal though for it to cause a delay of 10-15 seconds before the computer actually posts compared to when using onboard video(which posted after only a couple seconds)? Driver issues shouldn't affect the computer taking a long time to post as far as I know.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

What soundcard/chip are you using? It looks like there is some kind of power surge going through your system and making your soundcard output to your speakers. Similar to when turning on a P.A., in this case you turn the main volume down to avoid damaging the speakers.

I would try seeing if it happens with the 2 6pin PCIe connectors unplugged, if it doesn't then you could try experimenting with how the PCIe plugs are connected.

9. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

how old are your speakers, and how are they powered, i.e. a plug directly to the mains or do they have an adapter that goes into your pc's psu?

10. ColonelSeitan

Speakers are a 5.1 Logitech speaker system: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-53...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319745203&sr=1-1

There's a powered subwoofer and it all plugs into the creative sound card (that's plugged into mobo, no power connections that I can remember).

On that note, I should also mention that I've always noticed occasional speaker pops from my speakers since I installed the Gigabyte G41M-combo motherboard (more pronounced when using the onboard audio), and usually a loud speaker fart when resuming from hibernate. From what I've gathered, it's a pretty cheaply built motherboard.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

I've got those speakers, doubled up with 3 mini hi-fi's for a more rounded sound but I don't get the pop when I boot up. It's probably the motherboard. Not much to worry about unless it's really loud.

12. ColonelSeitan

Well, I tried installing a good quality power supply (Corsair TX650) at the advisement of another forum, and unfortunately the 10 second or so thumping delay before post is still present. I'm thinking it's probably a combo of the cheap mobo + the large power draw of the video card maybe?