1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Too many cooks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Sep 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I have to agree. When first came across the product page for my current board (Asus R3E), I had a good chuckle.
    The main issue is, indeed, figuring out what the feature really does, if anything. Most of the individual descriptions don't seem to tell you anything except that it is really really good at whatever it is meant to do, and you cannot live without it.
    Pure marketing. After months with it, I still don't really know what some features are meant to do.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There is some odd branding, that's for sure. There was a mobo box that had 'Power is Love' or some nonsense on it.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I personally like the feature: "It just works"

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Yeah, this has annoyed me in the past too.

It seems like a form of "overcompensation".

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I guess it doesn't help when the competition is so fierce.
    For example if Asus started to strip all these names from the boxes all together and simplify it, an average Joe would walk into a shop, compare an Asus box with a Gigabyte box and think the Gigabyte board is better, due to all these so called features.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I get the feeling that many companies think we're still 10 year old boys at heart and haven't yet grown out of our passion for blinking LEDs, Lamborghinis, fighter jets and "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!" references (ok, personally I haven't quite grown out of it completely, but I don't have it plastered all over my room nowadays).

I always grimace and clench my teeth slightly whenever I see an advert for some computer part with a "TURBO V8 CORE!" slogan on it, or whenever I see an Antec Dark Fleet or those horrible Xclio cases at stores. I really wish they'd cut it out already - the majority of PC builders are adults with enough money to afford high-end parts.

I don't buy the "more features for consumers" line either - Joe Average does not buy motherboards, he buys a crappy low-end 15-inch HP/Toshiba/Dell/Acer laptop. Motherboard buyers are well-informed enough to know what they want.

8. Skirrow

Skirrow What's a Dremel?

My board says "Time Manipulation Technology" on the box. Sounds good till you realise it only means you can set the system time in the bios. :p

kenco_uk likes this.
  9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Aw man, no time travel? I was just going to buy that DeLorean on eBay! :p

10. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

As a system builder I routinely disable or ignore most of the features on that list. Perhaps 10% of them are useful: TurboV (Evo or other wise) for tweaking OCs in windows, OC Profile for backing up BIOS settings & EZFlash for making new CPUs work. CPR helps but calling every POST fail an OC fail really helps consumer confidence :rolleyes: Everything else is just marketing fluff.

11. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

12. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

It wouldn't be so bad if the manual actually told me what to do most of the descriptions are very brief.

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

That's nothing. I saw a steamer that listed "Frequent use may result in increased skin longevity" in it's features.

14. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

IT industry (and PC market in particular) is pretty much exactly the same as automotive industry [working for both so I have good perspective]. Tons and tons of really worthless information and additions. 95% of which is completely mystic and magical for statistical PC/car user. Amount of acronyms, snappy slogans and other dreary nonsense is absolutely appalling. And worst thing is that, it will be even worse with every passing year. Used many mobos over the years and in all honestly used only 2 branded features - with my current MSI Eclipse SLI. BIOS update (once) and tested Green Power Box system, but it is completely useless addition if you running computations on a permanent basis (WCG/BOINC/SETI). Software is badly designed, and energy savings are negligible (1-5W).

15. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i hate the crap they give you on the driver cds (not the drivers obviously)

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

this is why you NEVER press the "instALL" button on Asus DVD.

17. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

The fun side is, the majority of customers won't be able to read the features on the box until they get the box delivered, since it was just ourchased from a random website. So it's just a page filler in my opinion.

Manager: So Tim, please add this new motherboard to our web listing
    Tim: Sure, will do. Let's see ....... MONKY BALLS, that's a lot of useless crap to type in.....

Manager:

18. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Lesson one in buying motherboards:
    Look at performance reviews rather than the manufactures so called features list.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I always have a good chuckle at the terrible English translation in Asus motherboard manuals. You can tell no one who actually speaks the language wrote it.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

translates to "ASUS" :D (as long as you don't use any of the branded buzzwords)

I find it most annoying when the features on the box are called differently when using the product.
    i.e. the name on the box differs from the setting in BIOS

Tags: Add Tags