1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Toshiba launches first 14TB CMR hard drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 8 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

With a bit of luck this will lead to smaller capacities becoming cheaper. It seems that the price of 4 TB drives has been the same forever.

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Yeah, looking forward to affording this in 2035.

Speaking of affordable storage, do you guys reckon we'll see 20+ TB storage devices become the norm before or after the first bases outside of the Milky Way?
    :sad:

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I wonder what happens to these drives when the helium escapes.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would love to see 8-10TB drives come down to more reasonable price points.
    Anyone that would want 4TB would prefer 8TB+ if the price is right.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I would guess by that time the warranty would have expired so any faults induced by the mechanics operating out of spec (flutter in the platters and head, friction, etc, etc) due to them not operating in helium wouldn't be of a concern to Toshiba.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The drive is sealed.

8. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

It is sealed but helium is very difficult to contain. Copied from a Reddit comment:

You can't have a vacuum forming spontaneously inside the drive while having normal pressure on the outside. If the drive is well sealed enough to keep larger molecules out (mostly N2,O2 and H2O, those are responsible for more than 99% of Earths atmosphere), the most that can happen is the drive will slowly leak He until the pressure inside matches the pressure outside, then it'll reach equilibrium, at which point no more He should leak out.

If drive manufacturers did their homework, this equilibrium should be reached by the time the drives reach their expected lifespans. Depending on the manufacturer, this should be around the 5 or 6 year mark.

To tell the truth, I'd be more worried about the lifespan of the main spindle than the amount of He.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'll eat my hat if they don't manufacture a few drives which leak helium faster than expected.

Tags: Add Tags